1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what gym classes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilystrange, Aug 13, 2012.

1. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

do you do? or enjoy? or have run away from screaming after half a go?

2. emilystrange

i did body balance on sunday and i can still feel it, which doesn't bode well for bums and tums later. am doing a yoga class too.
    most of the classes i might be interested in are during the day. i'm so not ready for circuit or bootcamp... even if i was i'd avoid!

3. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

I started 'Begin to Spin' classes this holiday, enjoying them so far. Also do aqua circuit, which I love, and a weights class, which is also enjoyable.

Could not do body combat, boxercise, Zumba or anything that needs to be done in time to music!

4. As an 'oldie', new to exercise (well, since teens) I enjoy yoga and I feel I've had a good work-out afterwards. Aqua didn't 'do it' for me. Haven't ventured to most of the others mentioned here!
    As we all know, a lot depends on the teacher. I went to one yoga class where a cover teacher had turned up, known to some of the class, who then disappeared! Next time she comes, I'll be with them!
    I have found that the gym staff are pretty useless at describing the classes, either on paper or in discussion, so try it and see. Make sure the instructor knows you haven't done it before. That sounds obvious and you'd think they'd notice, but they don't seem to!

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Despite my weight nowwhen iwas young i did do a lot of exercise...running,shot put javlin and discus.then to racket sports and walking,volley ball and squash........but i did not like the gym at all.I found it a cold cheerless place for independent minded folk like myself.I think you either need to join a class or have a buddy.
    Once im plating im fime and actually like exercise although i moan and groan at the effort..The idea was to slim and them maybe take up a sport again...squash is too much and badmngton as well as i like to play correctly and so get let behind with my slowness! lol
    Gym though leaves me cold..i find little joy in stationary bikes,rowing machines and running machines,soooooooooo boring!
    Im still hoping to get ona real bike and ride once my aches have gone lol

6. emilystrange

bums and tums done.
    *dies*

7. Ha, well done though! I like step aerobics, it's fun without being too torturous. I was considering starting spinning when I witnessed a class. Just observing put me off it!

8. emilystrange

i can't do aerobics, i'm so uncoordinated...

9. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

I absolutely love Zumba. The class I go to is taught by a dancer and it's really hard and fast.
    I used to go to a gym where they did a really good stretch class - a real dancers' limbering class. I used to come out of that feeling soooo relaxed. I wish a could findf another one of those round here to do.

10. So I guess Zumba is out of the question then...

11. emilystrange

i am no good with things set to music. i have no sense of rhythm! i like the idea of zumba, but...

12. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

Whilst doing aquafit this morning, gym instructor has persuaded me to have a go at Zumba on the understanding that I do not have to keep in time to the music...

13. emilystrange

it's the music that puts me off, i think. i have enough trouble doing arms and legs together, and if music is added i find myself concentrating on that and then getting in a mess with what i'm supposed to be doing.
    i'll have to sort out what classes i can get to come september..

14. Loved the Les Mills classes, yoga, pilates and aquajog.
    Was rubbish at Zumba but found it quite fun.
    Didn't like aerobics and have never been tempted to try step - I know that I would end up falling over it - I found the step part of bodypump too difficult to coordinate.

15. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

What is body pump?

16. emilystrange

this!
    i'll give it a go... but 600 calories? WAAAAAAH

17. It's great but start with low weights! It is more important to do the repeats and get the technique right than to lift big weights. Buddy up with someone who has been doing it a while to get the right weights and stuff - people are usually really good and will keep an eye on you the first few times you do it.

18. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Oh wow!

19. Fur

Fur New commenter

I love Zumba - as long as you can shake your bits and wiggle your bum you'll be fine, the coordination and steps come in time. It is important to keep going to Zumba once you start.
    LBT, Aerobics and Body Balance are also favourites of mine.
    I tolerated step for a while but got fed up with it.