1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What 'great' movies have you never seen?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by captain oats, Jun 24, 2011.

1. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I have seen a similar post to this on another website I go on but thought it would be interesting to put it here.
    What films, considered 'greats' have you never seen?

I have never seen a single James Bond film.

2. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I haven't seen any of the God Farthers.They just don't appeal to me.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Fritz Lang's 'Metropolis'

Most of the vintage Shakespeare adaptions

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

Great Expectations

Don't Look Now

The Red Shoes

Withnail and I (tried watching it, thought it was sh*te and switched it off)

Whiskey Galore

David Copperfield

My selection based on Nos 1-30 of the BFI top 100 (http://www.bfi.org.uk/features/bfi100/1-10.html)

4. erp77

erp77 New commenter

Well I haven't seen the top 9 of the BFI list!!

5. loodle1

loodle1 Occasional commenter

The Sound of Music. I seem to be the only person I know who's missed out on this one!

6. Using the BFI list (top 30)

Lawrence of Arabia

The Red Shoes

Train spotting

IF

Brighton Rock

Henry V (Larry)

The Long Good Friday

The Crying Game

Withnail and I

7. I've also never seen The Sound of Music, although I'm not sure if it qualifies as a "great" movie.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Citizen Kane
    Metropolis
    Battleship Potemkin
    These being the ones I'd like to see.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Well if you're not a Media teacher you have an excuse, but you should definitely make the effort ;-)

10. Same here.
    As for Withnail, I think it helps if you have lived a dissolute, drunken, drugged up, impoverished life.
    Or at least experienced it for a while, as I did at art college in the 70s. (Better not say anymore!)

11. bed

bed New commenter

I bought Avatar and still haven't watched it.
    Citizen Kane - keep falling asleep and missing it!
    Lawrence of Arabia - I have tried - bored!
    Oh so many.... !

bed

12. not sure if it classifies as great but until we worked on it in a lesson ET - having watched it with my class...couldn't you just swap the strange unemotional pastic thing for a rabbit... and still not cry at the end...usually emotional but left cold by the over egged ****

13. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Citizen Kane - the first 20 minutes are really pants. I've never managed to watch all if it.

14. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Me neither,despite a few attempts.

Withnail and I is one of the best films ever - don't let it pass you by

15. The Sound of Music - I have had no interest what so ever in watching it,and still don't.

16. I've seen 5 of the top 30 on the BFI list, though I don't remember much about Kes, except that I was bored. I've also never seen any Godfathers, or Goodfellas for that matter. I have seen the Sound of Music and own a James Bond box set, minus Daniel Craig films as he's rubbish! Modern Greats (according to my sister) that I've never seen include Forrest Gump and Philadelphia. I'm sure there are more, but I'm happy enough with what I watch.

17. I've had Doctor Zhivago on DVD for years but can't bear to watch it, as something in my head keeps telling me its going to be mind numbingly boring, from reading the cover blurb and the length of the film, somehow I've come to associate David Lean with losing the will to live, not quite sure why, as Bridge over the River Kwai was OK.

18. I found it really, really, really disappointing after all the hype I'd read. It really was boring, I kept waiting for it to take off, and it never did. I just can't understand why it has been praised so highly in reviews, maybe its an American thing, but i just don't get it. In comparision Orson Welles' film version of Othello is simply stunning, its breathtakingly beautiful - I reckon that is by far his finest film, despite it being a commercial flop that he had to film in bits and pieces as no one would finance it and he had to pay for it from the money he was making as an actor in other films - it really was his labour of love.

19. You're not missing much if you never watch Lawrence of Arabia, I think this is what put me off David Lean films, it might have been OKish if it was a third of the length. But the Henry V is an incredible film, you have to see it to believe it . The Long Good Friday is a crackign film as well and is definitely worth watching.

20. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I never understand why people class Withnail and I as a great film. If you're in the 6th form and think drugs and druggies are cool maybe but I think of it as a film you rapidly grow out of.