1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What grade of pay am i?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by jenny_lo1, Jan 2, 2020.

1. jenny_lo1

jenny_lo1 New commenter

Hi, i am wondering if anyone is able to give me some advise. I have recently completed my level 3 in supporting teaching and learning in schools. I currently work at a school and i am on a grade 1 salary. Does anyone know what grade i will be on now i am a level 3 and what roughly the salary would be please. I am so confused with it all.

thank you

j

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Congratulations on completing your Level 3 successfully. Unfortunately, it's impossible to know what grade you will be on - or even what your salary is now or would be - it depends which salary scale your school uses. This varies across LAs and even from school to school within LAs. I can tell you that many schools use the APTC scale, which you will find on-line. There is also no guarantee that your salary will change now - many schools will say that your job hasn't changed, therefore you don't get a pay rise until you apply for and get a Level 3 post.

That might not be the case. At our school, when someone completes their Level 3, they would generally go up to a Scale 3 salary at the start of the next academic year - with a new job description.

Is there someone you can talk to at school? The School Business Manager is generally the best person, or possibly your line manager. Good luck!

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I my old school your pay wouldn't change. When I asked about this I was told you would be paid at the rate the job was advertised at. Although I moved up a point each year I couldn't change grade. Made PM a waste of time and effort.