1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What grade/level of role should I be aiming for?!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by jenniferlove, Apr 14, 2017.

1. jenniferlove

jenniferlove New commenter

Hey, just after some advice please!
    I have a First BA Hons degree in teaching and learning support. I am aware that this doesn't make me a qualified teacher, however what level of teaching assistant or role should I be aiming for? Currently I'm employed as a level 2B teaching assistant, but this is soon to be lowered to a 2A.

Thanks in advance!!!

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

what do 2A and 2B mean? Personally I would say not below 15k, although I know plenty on less, as low as 11k full time. But I was a teacher fro many years, and even this is probably more per hour than teaching.

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Most TA jobs now pay for the job as advertised and not on your qualifications. Check if you meet the person speck then apply.

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi jenniferlove, it's hard to answer your question as every local authority is different. I'm not familiar with 2A and 2B teaching assistant levels - ours are level 2 and 3 and generally go by the NVQ level the TA has. I know of a few TAs who are level 4; this would generally be with specific qualifications, usually associated with SEND, and several years experience. Some authorities may offer you a HLTA role with your degree - it would be worth applying if you see any advertised, if you are interested.

5. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

I would say you can apply for any.
    I don't follow the 2A/2B levelling either. Consider fighting your corner though. Write a letter detailing qualifications and experience to the Chair of Governors.