1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What good easy-read adult books can you recommend?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by ZSmithDean, Mar 9, 2018.

1. ZSmithDean

ZSmithDean New commenter

I work in an Education team based in a secure unit, teaching adults, many of whom have learning disabilities and most of whom have a relatively low level of literacy.

We are trying to create a library which is relatively large and mostly filled with easy read books (fiction and non-fiction) that are well-written, interesting/engaging and aimed at adults rather than children/teens.

We have a complete mix of ages from 18 to 80, so ideally need books that have a range of interests and styles. We have some students who hate anything they deem 'immature' and are ideal candidates for 'King Street' style books and some young lads who are into action and anime and would find those kinds of books incredibly dull. Because of the backgrounds of some of our students, violent crime books would not really be appropriate.

Our students' reading ages tend to range from 6 (and under) through to 14ish.

I realise that this is a very tall order but I am hitting a brick wall in my investigations so would really appreciate any recommendations people could make!