1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What goes in to a medium term plan?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by misskjk, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Hi there, attempting to devise a MTP and they seem to be a lot vaguer than a collection of lesson plans, I know lesson plans are supposed to be more detailed but the MTPs I have seen appear to lack a lot of detail. Can someone please clarify what goes in to one?

2. Hi there, attempting to devise a MTP and they seem to be a lot vaguer than a collection of lesson plans, I know lesson plans are supposed to be more detailed but the MTPs I have seen appear to lack a lot of detail. Can someone please clarify what goes in to one?

3. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I just give an overview of the topic and the intended outcomes (skills learned/secured and assessments completed). Then I include a brief summary of what will be covered each week. So week 1 might say, "Read opening chapter of novel, establish what makes it successful, write own opening chapter for horror story".
    My previous department had a pro forma for us to fill out for what was called half-termly plans, which were medium term plans stored in case Ofsted came and wondered why all the teachers were doing different things. On the pro forma we had listed the AFs for reading/writing and the various features of the curriculum e.g. 'creativity', 'critical thinking' 'functional skills' and we would just highlight when we'd be covering each one.