1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What gets me up in the morning: amazing pupils who inspire me to reflect on my own character

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Feb 3, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I clearly have the wrong sort of pupils or the wrong sort of character because that makes me want to puke.

cissy3 and Vince_Ulam like this.
  3. Florentina03

Florentina03 New commenter

I just loved this article and I agree: every day I learn something from my pupils.

4. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

Occasionally, I am reminded just how hard-working and resilient children can be, despite personal and family hardships.

Most of the the time, every day in fact, all I see are students who cannot behave, won't take responsibility for their learning, can't leave their mobile phones alone for an hour without checking for messages, are unable to show consideration, respect and politeness and frankly, get what they deserve. I can't wait to start the new job in China in August and am thrilled to be leaving UK teaching for at least the next few years at Easter time in just 5 weeks. No more of these kinds of students. They don't deserve me.

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

"...... and that's why I would like to be an Ofsted inspector. xxxx"

cissy3 likes this.
  7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Touch of unspecific flim-flam. My pupils have covered the whole spectrum, some were easier to work with than others, some were mature and focused - others found it harder to concentrate.
    Yes, I often learned from my pupils, but mostly about their needs, the main focus was to organise time so they could learn.

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

9. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Apparently the school in the article is over-prescribed and in a well-to-do area, where house prices have gone up due to people wanting to move into the catchment area etc blah blah blah (Interesting upper- middle class squabble about this place on the dreaded Mumsnet, if anyone's interested.)

I wonder if the author would feel the same in any school?

I would be interested to see her do a day in some of the schools I know of, and see if she could still remain so......(lost for a word here, but Flere had it nearest)

10. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

She certainly has drunk the CoolAid....

When I read this, I did worry that I had become so bitter and jaded that I felt nauseated by the cloying sentiment. Now I feel better knowing the teacher works in a leafy-lane school. On the whole, I like just about every student I teach, but I don't necessarily like teaching them! Somedays I learn things from them (rarely profound stuff, but occasionally this does happen, too) more like who's on X Factor and the latest slang (which I am interested in). I wonder if the writer of the opinion piece receives car-boot-loads of presents too. In my (almost) ten years of teaching, I can count on the one hand the number of presents I've had from students: I get on with my classes and they do well (touchwood!) and I never expect a gift, but I am always absolutely shocked when I get one. My friend who teaches at a private secondary school has to make two or three trips to home and back to ferry all her gifts every Christmas and July. Jealous? Maybe just a little....