1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What for/How do you use student data?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by anon1120, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Hi all. I would need a bit of help, please if anyone could spare the time. A friend of mine interviewed for a Head of MFL job and didn't get it. In the feedback she was told that her answers to the question: "How would you use student data in your work" were not satisfactory. It also became clear that they did not mean general data (e.g looked after child etc.) Because my friend trained overseas and has not seen UK school data yet, could you please tell me what sort of data you, as an mfl teacher, collect of the kids; and how/ for what HoDs use this? Any input is really appreciated.

2. I dont wish to appear rude, but I am surprised that your friend was interviewed for a HOD position if he/she hadnt taught for quite a while in a UK school. I reckon that it would be very difficult, if not impossible, for someone with no experience of UK school to step into a HOD role. Particularly in a challenging school.
    That said, data is used to inform planning e.g differentiation and to track potential underachievment, amongst other things.

3. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Hi. The data we use includes the results of KS2 tests from primary school, CAT tests taken in Y7 (tests indicating general ability with number, reasoning and comprehension), yellis tests taken in Y10 (similar to CATS) and ALPS at A-level (based on GCSE performance across all subjects). FFT data is also used based on various sources including socio-economi.
    This all provide baseline information which gives a guide to likely future peformance. A HoD would use this to help monitor and track pupil progress and to base targets on. It can be shared with pupils when, for example, they seem to be under-achieving. It has its uses.

4. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

I should have added that the data from internal school exams is also very important indeed because there are plenty of pupils who do not perform as the baseline data suggests. For example, they may be better at languages than other subjects.