1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What foods do you buy abroad?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Feb 6, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I got back from Amman in Jordan this afternoon with spices-cumin, coriander, cinnamon, makhloubeh spice and kofta spice. Lebanese large cous-cous, zat'aar, Arabic coffee and cardamom. More green coffee beans as well.

In France I always get tinned petits pois tres fin, cans of paté, cheese and wine!! Germany-Jacobs coffee.

What do you get?

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I got back from Amman in Jordan this afternoon with spices-cumin, coriander, cinnamon, makhloubeh spice and kofta spice. Lebanese large cous-cous, zat'aar, Arabic coffee and cardamom. More green coffee beans as well.

In France I always get tinned petits pois tres fin, cans of paté, cheese and wine!! Germany-Jacobs coffee.

What do you get?

3. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Welcome back, lapin! Hope you had a fantastic trip.
    I haven't been abroad since 1999, but the last time we were in Italy we brought back Parma ham, ground coffee and (naughty, naughty) seeds to grow our own peppers & tomatoes.

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

France - wine, cheese, saucisson, mousse de canard, confit de canard, confit de gesiers, confit of goose necks stuffed with foie gras, confit of goose hearts stuffed with foie gras, sel gris, cans of cassoulet...those 3D crisps shaped like trumpets (one for the guilty pleasures thread!), petit sale aux lentilles, buckwheat flour (or used to, can now find it here), Armagnac, Pineau des Charentes,
    Spain - Iberico ham, olives, jarred chickpeas, tinned sardines, tinned tuna, chorizo, morcilla

5. Creme de mures
    Pineau des Charentes
    sel gris
    Morbier cheese
    Calvados

6. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

We used to make regular shopping trips to Calais to stock up on wine. Among the foods we bought were things that seem impossible for supermarkets to understand people might like, such as rabbit, veal, brains and trotters. On several occasions we bought boxes of oysters for very little cost compared to the UK, and clams. Basically, anything we liked that's impossible or ludicrously expensive to get in our supermarkets but available and affordable 20 miles away across the Channel. Being in the Common Market remains a mystery to me.

7. Spain - dried beans and things. They are (were) about 20% of UK price!
    Also the hams and other meats for platters and stews! Lovely and so much more interesting than homegrown.
    In April I will be looking again to see how the proces compare now!

8. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Bags and bags and bags and bags of spices from Egypt (and a few more bags besides!), dried fruit.
    Dried herbs from Greece - the last time I was there I bought all of the stock from the shop! Olive oil, preserved lemons, Greek delight (guilty pleasure!)

9. ljr

ljr New commenter

From France we will bring small bottles of wine which are great for cooking, wine & cheese and bottles of RED orange squash (from blood oranges)- not sweet like the squash we get here, we love it. Flavoured coffee pods, and different types of mint tea - Morroccan or Marrakesh mint are good. When the children were small we'd bring back enormous jars of Nutella, thankfully we don't need to anymore.

10. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

From Germany:
    Various meats - mostly sausages - cooking and spreadable. - and hams/salamis
    Cheese (but no longer for me!)
    Chocolate
    Nougat for mum (The smooth hazelnut sort, not the pink/white confection)
    Dr Oetker Pudding Mix - the variety you cook. (Mum says that 'English' blancmange doesn't work as well in her special cheesecake!)
    Palmin (a white fat)

Some of this we can get at Lidls or on-line from the GermanDeli site.....but it is more expensive, so we still stock up when we go over to Germany.

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I forgot Tahini from Jordan, a bottle of olive oil madefrom olives grown on my friend's family farm. I was given olives from the garden last time. I always stock up with spices in the ME countries, but saffron from La Boquerria in Barcelona or from Seville is good.

12. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Spices in India, ham from Spain, Soup pastini from Italy, and my father always brings back Shake and Bake from America (a highly chemical crispy concoction that you coat chicken with and bake in the oven. It tastes surprisingly good, but let's just say none of the ingredients are recognisable. It's not something I've eaten since I left home)

13. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I'm going to Hungary on Friday - not sure what I will bring back yet....

14. A number of years ago I spent a few months working in Hungary and really developed a taste for their paprika flavoured crisps! (This sounds like it should be on the guilty pleasures thread!) We haven't been abroad for a number of years although we have booked a holiday at a gite near Dinan in France. We're getting quite excited at the prospect of all the lovely french produce we'll be able to buy from the markets....and bring back!

15. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I brought back a huge jar of smoked paprika from Hungary!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Loukoumi from Greece. It's to die for.

17. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I'll be sure of that, nutella as I trust you every word. I shall obtain some for mrs modelmaker on your reccomendation hoping diabetes won't be added to the catalogue of ailments she burdens me with.
    On the other hand... is it available in bulk?

18. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I buy golden syrup, black treacle, Bird's custard powder and oxo cubes from Britain. A recent visitor also brought back some Crunchies ( wooohooo!!)
    From Spain, their giant chick peas, spicy paprika and paella rice ( but can find them here if you're lucky )
    I always ask brother and sister in law to bring back saffron when they go to Morocco.

19. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

When I returned from a tour of Autralia, I filled my bags (the space left from having taken Marmite and Jaffa Cakes over to friends there) with ANZAC biscuits and Tim-Tams. I shortly found out that ANZACs are available here, and that in a blind taste-test, Tim-Tams are indistinguishable from Penguins!

20. Nick, you're killing me! packet ANZACs that is so wrong! ANZACs are only ANZACs if they are home made. I will have to post the recipe for you. They are a brilliantly easy to make. You know it's easy to get marmite over here. But culturally we prefer vegemite (each to their own).
    As an Australian this thread is turning me green with jealously [​IMG]we can bearly bring anything into the country or at least not the good stuff you are all mentioning. I wasn't even allowed to bring a bottle of Glen Morganie back with me (duty free that is). Considering, at one point, I had to surrender an orange on the Victoria/South Australian border. They really wouldn't let me bring back Jabom! The joy of living in the Antipodes!