1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What foods did you cook when you were in school?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Reecedouglas1, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Reecedouglas1

Reecedouglas1 New commenter

What you can remember

I remember cooking .

Pizza
    Tuna pasta bake
    Mars bar slices
    Christmas cake
    Fajatis
    Sausage platt

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

As in during Home Ec classes?

Not a fat lot. We must have though. I do remember:

- Cheese and potato pie
    - Pizza, using a scone base
    - Cheese scones
    - Jam tarts
    - Pineapple upside down cake
    - Bolognese

We definitely made more than that, and I can remember carrying leaking tupperware boxes home with meals that my family would make a great excited fuss over eating, but I can't remember for the life of me what they were. I don't think I was hugely interested at the time!

3. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I had to choose dishes to match a brief. Some came home, but we established an unofficial lunch club once we were in 6th form where'd we'd all cook different dishes and then share them afterwards.

I don't remember exactly what I cooked other than doing rabbit stew once - possibly in cider. My friends were horrified!

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Nothing.
    I went to a girls' indie convent, and as the A Stream we were deemed career girls who would not have families and cook, so lessons were not needed.
    The B Stream were consider the 'breeders' and as such had to know how to feed the next Catholic brood.
    Hideous!

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I went to a grammar school and we started cookery in the 2nd year, I took Cookery for O level and got a A pass. We covered the whole syllabus, 4 different pastries, different ways of making cakes, meat and fish prep and cooking, veg cooking, biscuits, scones, salads, bread, enriched dough for chelsea buns, swiss roll, Christmas cake, invalid cookery, vegetarian cookery, how to feed babies, toddlers, old people, special diets, nutrition, digestion, soup making, casseroles and stews, etc.etc.
    I went on to Tech college at 16 where I did O level Needlework, C$G cookery, LAMDA speaking and reading, then A level Needlework the following year, and A level Art.
    Then CoEd for Home Economics teaching. As we lived in Bournemouth I did City and Guilds Advanced cookery and several courses in cake decorating at Mary Ford's.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Just to add, we were very lucky in having an excellent Cookery teacher, she was on the interview panel when I applied for a job at a school, didn't get the job!!

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  7. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Where in Bournemouth did you live?
    I remember Mary Ford's.....was quite THE cake decorating school!

8. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

We lived in Parkstone then moved to Ferndown. I really used to enjoy the courses at Mary Ford's but I also did a confectionery course at Bournemouth CoT.
    I've got a couple of her books with a written message to me and her signature.
    If you remember the school you taught at in Parkstone, we lived in the road behind the library.

Vince_Ulam likes this.