1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what font?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by tinzel, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Hi, I have used Sylfaen in a size 10 and have always been successful in securing an interview. I can understand why you would like to fit it on to one page if it is a few lines over, but if you can't I wouldn't worry. My personal statement has always been 3 pages and it has never been a problem, as long as you aren't waffling I think it is ok.
    Hope that helps
    T

2. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

I would say no smaller than 11! And not comic sans!
    Otherwise, it's a personal decision. Obviously not wingdings.....

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm currently typing an exec summary in calibri and 10, but I'm not sure I'd use it for a letter.

My letters have to be part of the form, so it is in the size and font they specify, can't remember what it is.

I'd also, like dizzymai, say no smaller than 11, no longer than 2 pages and nothing weird and whacky.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You can get away with a smaller font on an executive summary than on a letter.
    If you cannot fit it in, you need to dump something.
    Your letter should be no smaller a font than an 11, and should have a line between paragraphs, and a proper margin top, bottom and sides.
    It needs that white space to look inviting to the reader.
    If you are going through a big pile of applications, one in a small type, with tiny margins and no spaces between paragaphs (or even just some of these) just makes your heart fall, so you are in the wrong mood before you even read the first sentence.
    Yes, I know that it shouldn't be like that, but it is.
    So play along with the psychology, and go and see what you can ruthlessly cut.
    And NOT Comic Sans.
    I am not going to argue this, I am just telling you.
    N O T C o m i c S a n s.
    Not even for a Primary that sends out all its documentation in it.
    N O T C o m i c S a n s.
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes

5. I've been using narrow margins and have just changed it to normal margins and now its 4 pages long in Arial 11 :( I really want to get an interview for this school so I will have to be doing some editing! Thanks for the advice x

6. Arial is really quite a big font.I would try Sylfaen on Sassoon. Sassoon is the official dyslexia friendly font, it's just if you have it on your computer or not. I know people always advise you not to have more than 2 pages, but I really found I was missing big chunks out if I cut it down anymore. I just got a new tlr job with my application of 3 pages the other day.The best advice is have a few people read it through they will able to identify much more easily parts you have repeated or waffled with.
    Hope this helps

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I really like sassoon, but it does look a bit too child friendly for an application.

2 pages with an exec summary ought to be enough for a classteacher post, though management might be higher. I'm hoping for 2 pages only for the TLR one I'm supposed to be writing at the moment, but got fed up and came here instead.

8. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.