1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What first ' getting to know' my new Year 2 class would you suggest?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by janegubbins, Apr 12, 2012.

1. I would like to make sure I have a strong warmer activity for children to enjoy on my first day. Any ideas would be really helpful?
    Thanks

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Are you starting this half term? I would do a hello, then launch straight into normal lessons and give as much structure as possible.

3. coffeecakes

coffeecakes New commenter

I would also launch straight into formal lessons on the first morning - set the expectations for how you want things to run. Then, in the afternoon, I would do an art-based lesson where you can sit with the children as they work and get to know them a bit.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would do as coffeecakes says, but tell them first thing how excited you are and how much you are going to enjoy being their teacher. Then say you are going to watch carefully all morning to see who is a really hard worker and who is very helpful to their new teacher and those children will get to choose first which art activity they do in the afternoon.

They'll all be good and so then you can start the afternoon off with a positive start as well.

Good luck, year 2 are just fabulous!