1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What exp/qualifications do I need for business/econs teaching career?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by alvtes, Nov 13, 2018.

1. alvtes

alvtes New commenter

hey guys,

i am from hong kong.

i have a few years of teaching experience in china (2 years of ESL, 1 year of Business). i have two degrees, a distance bachelors from [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] bachelors is in business, masters is in econs, both with first class hons grades.

i am thinking of making teaching in international schools my career. however, i wish to teach only in developed countries (for health reasons, i have taught in china and find it too rough healthwise for my liking).

do you think my profile is competitive for teaching jobs in international schools? i will need teachers registration but it is hard to get this in hk and i have been rejected for government teaching career for a few times already and i have given up. my teaching experience is pretty much worthless back in hk since i cannot teach in government schools. i can only teach in private tuition centres and those pay horribly.

i am thinking of doing a full time pgce in the uk but it is too costly. options like pgce(i) notthingham dont seem to open any doors?

i am looking to target well paid japan, macao, singapore, uk, australia international school's econs/business jobs and work at this career for the next 30 years. i love teaching. my 3 years of experience so far are all in the 16-20 age group and i hope to teach this age group a level/ib business/econs.

will my lousy arden uni bachelors still be frowned upon and be a problem now i have a hku master's? what exp/qualifications do I need to gain at this stage?

2. jpgreenwood

jpgreenwood Occasional commenter

It's a competitive area, as are most of the humanities/social sciences, so yes, your undergrad being from an online uni probably isn't going to look great. An MA from HKU will look good, but add on a PGCEi and you're likely to lose out on jobs in these (very competitive) countries to other, better qualified candidates.

There are jobs, and you might be able to get one, but if a full-time PGCE is an option, I would say you'd stand a greater chance of securing a high-paying job.

3. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

You need a PGCE and two years of teaching to be considered for the best jobs. At a minimum you need a PGCE and then you could work your way up the international ladder.

You will need to teach students from 11-18 years old. Have you considered that you may not enjoy teaching students of these ages?

4. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

A bizarre bit of clipping there by TES, they seem to have left a reference in one part of the message to something they deleted earlier on.

As to the question, I don't really know the job market for these two subjects but if you focus on the economics you're more likely to be able to stick to the older students. It is true that teaching 11-14 year olds is very different from teaching 16-18.
    I have known economics teachers to offer maths as a 2nd subject but that will depend on the content of your degrees, I suppose. It would make you more employable but would be more likely to entail teaching the younger age groups.

I know people who have done very well after a distance-learning PGCE but the fulltime version is a safer bet and will probably give more options later.

Good luck