1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what exercise books/folders etc do you have?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by barley343, Jul 20, 2008.

1. just wondering!
    deciding whether to try some different things next year.
    maths - currently use book, folder and problem solving folder
    lit - book, folder, spelling journal, reading journal, writing file -
    wondering whether to have a vcop book next year for sentence/word stuff linked to vcop
    does anyone else use reading journals? how much success and when do you use? i have tried using some stuff from lancs ones, but not that happy with how it's gone

http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/nationalstrategy/literacy/inde...

2. just wondering!
    deciding whether to try some different things next year.
    maths - currently use book, folder and problem solving folder
    lit - book, folder, spelling journal, reading journal, writing file -
    wondering whether to have a vcop book next year for sentence/word stuff linked to vcop
    does anyone else use reading journals? how much success and when do you use? i have tried using some stuff from lancs ones, but not that happy with how it's gone

http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/nationalstrategy/literacy/inde...

3. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Seems like you have loads of stuff for Maths!

My classes just have one book, everything is done in that book in the order it was done! Some other classes have a manilla wallet as well to keep loose papers, but I don't use lots of write on worksheets and if I do they stick them into the book.

4. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

folders - yuck! All that filing! Dead time for you or children or TA

5. folders for me are a worry as they = worksheets. If you must they should be dated and regularly stapled as otherwise a useless mess for anyone

VCOP book if you have clear VCOP slots are useful

6. We have:
    maths book
    topic book
    revision/target book
    jotter
    writing portfolios
    1 folder

We used to have a book for every subject but it was ridiculous - they were not even half filled - the waste and expense. Much better now!

7. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

That sounds great, we have books for everything, piles of them all over the classroom. To be fair most of them get filled to over halfway as there is a big insistence on lots of written work in our school. We only have one book for maths though, any worksheets are reduced to A5 or folded to fit. Don't tend to use many though.

8. wicked witch

wicked witch New commenter

To answer your original query, ( I always talk too much), we did have reading journals but didn't really use them properly so this year we aren't going to bother. Any reading work will go in their writing journals. We also have a word/sentence level book and a handwriting book. I would like to get rid of the handwriting book and do it in word book but lit co ordinator says no.

9. literacy class and homework book
    Literacy help book for vocab, guidance on any genre, look cover check work, reading record
    Meths class and homework book and maths help book, similar to literacy but has a record of different ways of doing things so they can look them up if they forget. File for loose sheets
    Early morning work book/ work book (others call them rough book)
    Art sketch book.
    Files for most other subjects- thin cardbord ones. They use treasury tags and put in each sheet as they start their work. It is done in seconds. It doesn't always mean worksheets Bluerose, as it can just be file paper. If it gets too full then a section is taken out and stapled together. It is much lighter than taking home exercise books.

10. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

What we have is, in my opinion, too many books.

What I would like is:
    one learning journal for English, Humanities, etc.
    one maths books
    one Science book
    one Sketch book
    and leave it at that.

Interestingly, I had an email today from one of my former pupils who has now emigrated to Australia. After her first day at school she tells me:

"its so much better than England. We don't have special books for each subject its just little note-pads but bigger!"

11. We have:
    Literacy book
    comprehension book
    Big writing book
    Genre Gap Book
    Numeracy Book
    Numeracy Gap book
    Science
    Science Gap Book
    RE/PSHE book
    Art book
    DT book
    Thematics book
    Homework book

12. what are 'gap' books?

13. Gaps are identified through assessments in literacy and numeracy mainly. In numeracy, any question answered correctly by less than 60% of the class becomes a gap, so at the start of numeracy lessons, we teach a 5 minute gap activity - so gap books record a quick assessment at the start of this teaching cycle and at the end, generally a week or two weeks, and we can compare the improvement. We have to get to 85% of the class before we can "close" the gap and move on
    In literacy, we use gap books for the start and end of a topic - the kids will write an instruction text for example, without any teaching, to see what they already know, and then at the end, to see how their writing has improved. we highlight success criteria for each piece and hopefully they have more highlighted at the end then at the beginning.
    In science, its much simpler, a thought diagram filled in in one colour at the start of a topic and in another colour at the end.
    It sounds strange, but it really has helped the classes to improve in all of these subjects. We've had the best sats results these last three years since we started doing this.

14. Elsie Teacher

Elsie Teacher New commenter

Filing takes less time than sticking in. Isn't sticking in loads of sheets a waste of a book?

15. bumblingbee

bumblingbee New commenter

We used to have
    • a language skills book
    • a rough book
    • a best book
    • a spelling practise book
    • a spelling test book
    • a maths test book
    • a mental maths book
    • a maths investigation book
    • a maths book
    • a homework book
    • a science book
    • a Welsh book
    • an art book
    • a DT book
    • a geography book
    • an RE book
    I think that's them all. I remember counting 17 so I've obviously missed one but can't think what it is. You could hardly move for boxes of books. How bonkers to have 9 language and maths books. Much better now!

16. lindsay84

lindsay84 New commenter

I thought we had a lot, but it seems we don't at all!
    • Topic books (literacy, science, DT, art, geography, history, R.E) 1 per topic (3 a year).
    • Maths
    • Spelling test book
    • Spelling book (homework)
    • Handwriting book

17. Msz

Msz Established commenter

English
    Maths
    Topic
    Handwriting
    Phonics
    Homework

18. Each of our classes have exactly the same: (corporate image and all that!)
    1 Lit book, red
    1 Numeracy, blue
    1 science ,yellow
    1 topic book which holds RE and Geog, green
    1 wake up work book, orange
    No filing, if there is any worksheets (rarely), kids are well trained to stick them in their books.
    All books go home with the kids at the end of the school year.