1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What exactly is a Kindle?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by welshchocoholic1, Dec 15, 2011.

1. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

I am just curious really. Lots of people on here seem to have them. I know that it's a book on a computer, but apart from that I don't know anything about them[​IMG]

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

• It's smaller and lighter than most books
    • It can hold several thousand books, so you can have a choice of book at any time
    • You can download books in 1 minute - I finished the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo at Malaga airport while my plane was delayed, and downloaded the sequel immediately
    • You can get newspapers on it - for free. I get the Telegraph and El Pais every morning
    • You can find thousands, thousands of books for free
    • You can put your own documents on. I have list of phone numbers, the text for my TES seminars, lists of documents, a copy of my passport and travel insurance, plus the instruction booklet for my camera
    • You can make the text bigger or smaller to suit you
    • It's the best thing that I have ever bought. Ever.
    • [​IMG]
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. Everything Theo said ...then some!

4. welshchocoholic1

Thanks Theo and Cocoabrown[​IMG]! Sounds really good. Thousands of books and newspapers for free?!! Wow!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

But some you have to pay for - especially if it's a top seller and you are stuck in Malaga Airport!
    I could have read one of the 1,500 other books, in several languages, that I had on my Kindle, but I was dying to know what happened next.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

6. welshchocoholic1

[​IMG] That is a lot!
    Thanks [​IMG]

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Forgot to add that you can make notes, clip newspaper articles and save them, never lose your page in a book, and there's a built-in English dictionary.
    Just put the cursor next to a word, and you get the definition from the Oxford English Dictionary. You can buy extra dictionaries, so if you're reading in German, say, you can get the German word translated into English. For some languages you can get a monolingual dictionary, so you're reading in French and you get the definition in French.
    Great!

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Best Christmas present <u>EVER</u>!!!!! (It was an early Christmas present last year - and I hummed and hawed for ages.....so glad I gave in!)
    I originally accepted it because of all the free books - I collect out-of-print children's books and loads of them are available free on the Kindle!
    Then I found threads on TES....Theo taught me how to get English and German newspapers for free each morning....and introduced me to the joys of Jungle which send me e-mails of all the freebies each day.
    I just love the free sample option - I can read a few pages to decide if I want a particular title.
    When I go to hospital I can take my Kindle - and it is so light - and carries so many titles! (Also when I visit Mum for Christmas...my well-stocked Kindle is coming with me...no need to worry about taking a dozen heavy books - I have hundreds on the Kindle!)
    When my laptop became very sick, I was able to check e-mails on my Kindle....and send them, although the Keyboard is a tad fiddly.

9. welshchocoholic1

Oh wow - I like the sound of the dictionaries, especially in the foreign language. Would be useful! I used to have parellel books in French and Spanish, but that sounds even better. Do you have shares in the Kindle business Theo[​IMG]?!
    Thanks Bethannie, it does sounds really good[​IMG]!

10. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

A device that lets you read text electronically, just don't mistake it for an actual book, or even a library of books because you'll be disappointed.xx

11. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

I had mine for Christmas last year, and no, I still don't like it and am still buying "real" books.xx

12. If you want bookshops to die, buy a kindle.
    Will a kindle let me flick right through a book before I buy, meet the author, invite me to a reading group or sit down with a coffee after I've bought something? Of course not.
    You can store documents, get electronic dictionaries, read the papers and get thousands of out-of-print books for free on a laptop or iPad!

13. And what about charity bookshops?
    They'll die too if everyone gets a kindle.
    Rant, rant, rant!

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am in my late sixties . . .

15. In your cooooooool late sixties, obviously.
    [​IMG]

16. I'm in my 30s, and my mum late 50s - both love ours. I agree with your argument about the kindle killing bookshops - local bookshops are being killed off by the large chains that pop up everywhere - and even then I know lots of people that go browsing in the shops, then go home to the internet to find it cheaper; that surely does far more damage to the book shop industry than a little 'toy'.

17. You're conflating a few different situations there. Independent bookshops couldn't compete with the chains but both the chains and the independents can't compete with amazon.
    The real damage caused by the kindle will be to the publishing industry itself. If you don't believe me, listen to what Gail Rebuck has to say on the Imagine programme I linked to earlier. Because publishers won't make as much profit from e-books, they won't be able to afford to subsidise literary fiction, which sells in lower numbers. So the new fiction on offer for your kindle will either be Dan Brown type books or self-published books.
    If you want to see what those look like, read the Novelist's Corner thread further down the page.
    Happy kindling!

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You may be (partly) correct.
    But that's what happens.
    People buy televisions, and cinemas close. People have Sky Plus, and Video rental shops shut down. People have cars, and bus services dwindle. People go on their hols on EasyJet to the Costa Something, and Butlins Holiday camps are out of business. People use photocopiers, and Blueprint makers and Roneo salesmen are on the dole. People buy clothes in Primark, and seamstresses have no clients. People buy milk in the Supermarket, and the daily Milkman closes his round.
    What is sad, of course, is that the services are no longer available for those who don't have televisions, Sky Plus or a car, don't go to the Costa Wotnot, to Primark or to Tesco.
    But the rest of us watch TV, use Sky Plus, drive in cars, take holidays abroad, make photocopies, buy clothes in Primark and milk in a supermarket, and read on our Kindles.
    Do you think that we shouldn't do any of these?
    Best wishes

19. Except that we won't be losing access to an obsolete service, we'll be losing literary fiction and a host of other genres besides. Do you really regard quality fiction as obsolete?
    The only fiction available for your kindle will be blockbusters or the kind of stuff on the Novelist's Corner thread. How we will sort through all the self-published dross to find something decent, and how these decent authors will manage without an editor or other support from a publishing house, are questions no-one has yet answered.
    I'm not the only one who's arguing this, Gail Rebuck is and she's the head of Random House.
    Something tells me she knows what she's talking about, even if you think I don't.
    Happy kindling!

20. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Why?
    My Kindle is packed with literary classics - both English and German. Why would these be lost?
    Admittedly, I also have whodunnits....and children's books...and theology texts.....and sci-fi...and maths/science texts...and cookery books...and texts about Learning Differences...and some 'adult' fiction...and a few blockbusters.....
    Basically, my Kindle, like my many bookshelves, is loaded with an eclectic mix of genres.
    I do have a few books on my Kindle that are self-published - a few have been dross and I've removed them...others are stunningly well written. I am happy to decide for myself whether a book deserves to be read by me.
    Not all Kindle books are free. Authors will still get their royalties from a paid-for e-book.
    Books are not likely to die out - but they will exist alongside e-books.
    I wish Kindles had been around when I was a student! All those heavy books I used to schlep around - they could have been stored on one light Kindle!