1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What exactly does qts involve?

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by Digitalgeezer, May 2, 2012.

1. I am an English teacher at an outstanding North London school. I am British, but trained in South Africa and have just been told that I now have to get QTS. I understand about getting degrees checked etc. but what I really want to know is how am I assessed? I have been to all the various websites and they are not clear on it. Please advise.

2. I am an English teacher at an outstanding North London school. I am British, but trained in South Africa and have just been told that I now have to get QTS. I understand about getting degrees checked etc. but what I really want to know is how am I assessed? I have been to all the various websites and they are not clear on it. Please advise.

3. muffinmops

muffinmops New commenter

I believe different training providers are different, but QTS involves meeting standards- I think its around 40 different ones.

When I diid mine, I had to write two 4000 word essays, show eveidence of subject knowledge, writing schemes of work,and all other teacher duties, assessments, target setting etc. I had a mentor in school which involved regular meetings, and an outside training provider who visited me, assessed me and oberved me at regular intervals.I was observed once a week, sometimes twice and had 18 lessons on my timetable.I attended courses in London and had to produce two folders of evidence of meeting the standards along with formal assessments from the training provider.
    It took one academic year to complete.

Good Luck