1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What evidence is needed to make an application to go through threshold?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Belinda Carlisle, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Belinda Carlisle

Belinda Carlisle New commenter

I have been a teacher since 2001 and simply by the amount of time in the profession, I should have made more progression than I have. However, by popping in and out of the state/independent sector I have missed the opportunity to proceed through to the upper pay scale. My current school has only recently adopted state pay and progression policy. So now I find myself trying to put together a portfolio of evidence to justify my request to progress up to the upper pay scale. So I was wondering, dear teacher friends, just what evidence should and shouldn't be used to help me.

Any help is gratefully appreciated.

2. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

Looking at the school's pay and progression policy is key. You should have appraisal or performance management objectives agreed with your line manager to have a clear idea of evidence to submit. Usually if you meet your appraisal targets they comprise of good teaching and good progress.

Are there other colleagues who have gone through a similar system in your/another school? It should be that you don't need reams of evidence like when I submitted for UPS a whole folder full of documents years ago. Things like examination performance, lesson observations towards T&L targets are a given. If there is anything that shows your ability to work at a level beyond a classroom teacher (thereby justifying UPS) and, again, is on your appraisal objectives this should also be included.

3. Belinda Carlisle

I've had a year and a half of appraisals saying I'm working above and beyond. I'm the first person in the school to apply for progression - others were automatically put there at the time of their employment. I receive a TLR for leading a subject but the work I do for this often is my 'above and beyond' work. I should say it is a private school so this appraisal system is in its infancy (2 years old). I have been recommended to go through threshold in every appraisal from my line manager but now I've been told I need evidence.

4. Trendy Art

So what evidence does your line manager say is needed?

If they are the one assessing your performance, it should be clear. It's a bit like grading students without assessment criteria.

5. Belinda Carlisle

My line manager doesn't know as they've never done it before either. All I've been told is that it's evidence to show I'm working at UPS level (standard day to day teaching and work relating to my TLR subject don't qualify). I'm just curious about what I CAN use.

6. Trendy Art

Belinda you're going to have to leave a light on for me. Before you get in too deep with making that evidence that could be a big scary animal, take an opportunity to speak to the head or the SLT member introducing the policy.

Otherwise it will be the same thing - you don't know what their expectations are. Have the conversation and it may help you live your life be free.