1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What ever happened to.....telling time?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jet786, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Is it just me or is the skill of telling time becoming more and more obselete in the younger generations? i have students from 12 to 14 for example who proudly announce that they cannot read an analogue clock and cannot tell time unless its in digital form...so much for the clocks we have in the class rooms!
    If it was not for the bell to start and finish classes I swear some would not have a clue what to do! oh the learned helplessness of youth! They see no need to learn how to tell time either - thats the sad part!
    Are we just enabling this behaviour???[​IMG]

2. I particularly love having to teach said children how to tell the time in French and German [​IMG]

3. I teach primary and am quite surprised at the difference in abilities when it comes to telling the time - some children are excellent and have clearly been taught at home and maybe wear a watch, others seem to only understand what they were taught in school (and some, not even that!). I see it more as a life skill, like tying your shoelaces, something I thought would be taught by parents, but maybe that's only because my parents taught me.
    I can still tell the time in French (not German though!).[​IMG]

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

5. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Me too!! It's quite scary how some of them don't get it because they don't actually know how to tell the time, not just because it's in another language!

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

At our school, we have to fill out a toilet pass if someone wants to go to the toilet in class time and you need to write the time on the pass. In September, I was filing one out for a Y11 boy and the clock was on the wall behind me. I asked him what the time was and after a long pause he said "the big hand is on the two and the little hand is on the eleven".

7. Scary but it proves the point!

8. Earl Davids wife

Earl Davids wife New commenter

No doubt they all use their mobile phones to tell the time and, since they are "digital" the poor dears will have no cause to bother with analogue. QED.

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I used to like that sort of game, lapinrose, until I noticed that the pupils who most needed to learn language etc simply randomly clicked the boxes until they got a correct pair. They took no notice of what was revealed when they clicked.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I was teaching analogue time at a special school last month (Yr7 class) and there were 2 pupils in a class of seven who could tell the time perfectly. The others had never been confronted with a traditional clock face before.
    It amazes me that so many mainstream children in secondary education tend to have no curiosity or will to learn anything that is not foisted upon them.
    Parents are also letting them down in not creating learning milestones. I remember being really keen to master the time as it meant I could have a watch for my next birthday if I cracked it. I was six when I got my Timex watch.

11. You have a point - anything that is outside their "bubble" or does not concern them is simply let go for the majority....
    It does make me wonder though what other skills are we letting go in this digital handholding age...(apart from basic common sense!)

12. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I remember the same. I was desperate to be allowed a proper watch.
    I would guess that some of our students can't tell the time because their parents can't.

13. Ditto - and my first watch was also a Timex and it had a lovely yellow strap.
    My kids were desperate to learn how to tell the time - long before they started school. It became an evening ritual as we counted down the hour, half hour, quarter of an hour until time for bed.
    I often wonder why some children are so lacking in inquisitiveness - to me, it is a normal state for any young child to be in.
    It is quite sad that they lose that magic and sense of wonder at such a tender age.

14. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

My daughters both sussed it out when they wanted to know what time Buffy or whatever was on the tv, they had to 'translate the tv guide into analogue to match their watches/clocks.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'm currently slogging my guts out trying to teach time to a class where every individual appears to be at a different stage.
    It's only on reading this thread that it occurs to me that, other than the watch I'm wearing, I don't have a single analogue clock in my own home. I suspect that will be the case for many of my pupils and it's made me think about how I approach the subject in class.

16. Perhaps it makes a difference. I don't possess any digital clocks - except for on my mobile and the TV.

17. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Maybe, i have two analogue clocks in the house and no digital watches. The only digital displays are the cooker, dvd and boiler.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Electric digital alarm clock, tv/dvd clock, microwave clock, cooker clock - all digital. No other clocks.
    I suspect that's about the norm nowadays.

19. Why do they need to be able to use an analogue clock?

As has been said ... they (and I) predominantly use digital

We do not expect them to use a slide rule or even a cassette player, I never learnt how to use a mangle but my Mum could use one

Perhaps we are living in the past and the future is digital

20. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

In most uses of time - timetables, train and airport information boards etc clocks are almost all digital (I'd say all but someone would remember seeing an analogue clock being used in some far flung airport). Perhaps there is too much emphasis on analogue.
    I find that most pupils know what 10.40 means but can't get their heads round the equivalent in analogue and don't get that we don't (usually) say 40 past 10 aloud.