1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What era do you wish you were born into?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by scienceteachasghost, Nov 7, 2015.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I was personally born in 1980 so am at the youngest end of 'Generation X.'

If I could have chosen a different era to be born into I would have gone for either of the following:-

1. Born circa early 1950s, so I could experience the 60s/70s as a young person.

1. Born circa 1972, so I could be just old enough to attend the first illegal acid house raves of the early 1990s.

PS I actually feel sorry for the post Millennials - they are the digital natives who have never experienced life without Internet/decent mobile phones etc. And they came onto the planet at a time when electronic dance music has already evolved down most routes and most 'new' music is not original, as well as a world that that bit more Orwellian/paranoid etc after 9/11.

2. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

Bourgeois in 1880 wouldsuit me.

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I am very happy to have been born in 1942. It meant I could hobnob with Potato Pete and Dr Carrot who were the slebs of the time.

sabrinakat likes this.
  4. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Don't care when as long as it was after penicillin was invented and I wasn't poor. If I have to be poor, late 40s/early 50s would be good. I missed most of the benefits boats.

Lara mfl 05 and anotherauntsally like this.
  5. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

The 50s I reckon. I like the fashion and I like the fact people went out and danced "properly", even the men!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

You would have to have been adult in the 50s then.

I was born in 1955, I think I was pretty lucky in many ways. The full benefit of the NHS for a start although that may not last much longer. As a women I was the first generation to have comfortable underwear although I did experience suspender belts and woolly stockings when I started Secondary School. As for sanitary protection anyone born after the mid 60s has no idea! House prices might have been lower for us although I wasn't in a position to take advantage of that and when I did interest rates were sky high so I don't buy into that one. On the other hand our school years were relatively unstressful and travel has been available to us like never before.

Lara mfl 05 and ScotSEN like this.
  7. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Would loved to have been a child in 50's America

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

From a purely technological point of view I'd go for the 1920s, when many of the gadgets and modes of transport we take for granted today were still in their infancy.

From a social and pop culture point of view, being a mid 1940s baby boomer would have been interesting. Early teenager for Rock 'n' Roll, early twenties for Swinging Britain. Not so good if you were an American lad though - Vietnam War.

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

1980s; oh to be in my early thirties again.

10. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I was born in the era I wanted to be born in, although 5years earlier would have been nice.

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

1953 wasn't a bad time to be born. There was a feeling of optimism in the air and things were getting better all the time. Slums were being cleared. The NHS had been established and carried the promise that not only would illness be treated for free, but the investment would lead to finding cures to illnesses and ailments that had previously been impossible to treat.

My generation found it easy to buy a home, had a stress-free, but decent school education and if you wanted further education, it was free. Not only that, interesting jobs and opportunities were plentiful.

If you were born in 1953, you missed out on conscription, but you know, I never saw that as a hardship. I think it was probably past the era of the tally man, although I can't be sure. I remember the time between my birth and the 1980s as being a largely debt-free era. The only debts most people took on was a manageable mortgage. Family might help you out if you got stuck, but the notion that it was OK to live beyond your means was frowned on.

In the main it was an era that if you wanted to better your lot, you could do, and if you didn't, it didn't matter that much.

I would hate to have been born after the 1980s. Every decade since has got worse.

Lara mfl 05 and monicabilongame like this.
  12. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I would have liked to have been born 1890 and grow up in a middle class environment (too wealthy, too much pressure to marry well). I love the clothes!
    However, sadly the Great War would destroy my 20s....

Duke of York likes this.
  13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The late 1930's to early 1940's., good music and dancing, albeit wartime but victory in sight and then leaving school and growing up in the 1950's. Always have felt out of my generation by about a decade. I think I would have preferred the simpler and more pleasant world then.

monicabilongame likes this.
  14. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I wouldn't have minded being born ten years earlier, in 1945. As STG said, I would have experienced the 60s when I was in my twenties and I could have copped for one of those early retirement offers that were going about, in the mid 90s. People with whom I worked then went in their early fifties, got 10 years enhancement on their pensions and then got other jobs.

monicabilongame and InkyP like this.
  15. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

The problem with this would be (apart from it being wishful thinking of an utterly pointless nature) that decades befoe were fraught with all sorts of difficulties. Born 1880s; probably would have been squeeezed through the sausage machine of WW1, not to mention infant mortality of 50%. Born 1920s, WW2. Born 1930s; great depression, starvation etc... There was always something wrong in the past; violent ends, ill health, poverty etc...

16. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Yeah, and it was us who paid for their early retirements directly, indirectly, and our pensions got reduced as a consequence.

17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

1955 was good enough for me.

I got good health care and a sans pareil education at a girls' direct-grant grammar school and a good university. For nowt. Even signed on in the holidays.

At a time when women had it better than at any other time in British history.

I'll stick with 1955.

Lara mfl 05 and InkyP like this.
  18. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I thought you were older Grumpina ;-)

aspensquiver likes this.
  19. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Given that I'd have died at 18 if born before c.1900 (appendicitis) or last year if not roughly the age I am, I'll stick with being born in the mid-1950s and enjoying the benefits of medical knowledge, thanks....

Lara mfl 05 and InkyP like this.
  20. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

The one I was born in, but if only it could be that era now.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.