1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What else works?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by giraffe, Jul 9, 2011.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I've been having a tough time at work recently and have been tootling along coping pretty well-ish.
    It's not just me; my lovely line manager has shed a few tears over the horrible way I've been treated, bless her.
    Many years ago I was very successfully treated for depression and have done a bit of reading around the subject. I have had some rough patches, but tend to spring back fairly quickly.
    I've hit a grey patch this week and am letting things get to me. Feeling tearful etc.
    I don't want to go back to taking medication - I'm sure this is a short-lived bad patch and I want to try more 'natural' ways of boosting my serotonin if at all possible. I've done it before and probably chatted about it on here too.
    So, remind me- what works?
    I'm going to do some exercise - brisk walking
    I will be nibbling cheese and nuts for the tryptophan
    Bought a Sudoku book today

????????????????

2. I remember when I suffered from depression reading that if left untreated a mild to moderate depressive episode will resolve naturally in seven weeks. Don't know if it's true because I wasn't taking any chances and grabbed the ADs.
    Presumably a lot of them do just get better or beyond 50 years ago we'd have had half the population prostrate with depression at any one time.

3. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Yes, I reckon this will pass - just wanting to speed it on its way.
    An important legal meeting this week and an interview, coupled with a decision as to whether to go for a position that would be drasitc cut in wages.
    Just when I could really do with a clear head and the ability to concentrate!

4. St John's Wort.
    A good cry.
    Sex.
    Exercise.
    Spending time with friends.
    Keeping busy.

5. They are very stressful events. Perhaps you'll feel better when they're out of the way?

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Definitely exercise. A good brisk walk a couple of times a day really makes a difference (I've found), especially if the sun is shining (exercise & sunlight can promote the production of seratonin).
    Calming music is good too. Also foods that are rich in Omega-3 oils (typically oily fish - salmon, sardines, herring etc).
    Try and get plenty of sleep if you can. 'Sleep that knits up the sleave of ravell'd care'... Shakespeare knew what he was talking about!
    Hope you feel brighter soon.

7. Hey Griaffe,

I'm so sorry your're not feeling too good, and I really hope you start to feel better soon.

When I am feeling really low some things that help me are -
    * Sleeping - particularly in the long slow hours of the afternoon.
    * Taking small walks round the village (preferably ones where I don't have to encounter anyone).
    * Sitting watching old good DVDs, especially old comedies I used to enjoy like One Foot in the Garve.
    * Reading - I'd like to say I get through loads of books but unfortunately as my concentration disappears it's hard to read.
    * Coming on this site (if I'm not too paranoid).

I had a bad depression of late (been depressed since March really) and this is about all I could do, I'm experimenting with different types of meds just now, it's a bit hit and miss but I'm hoping we'll find one that agrees with me. To be honest when I really dip I just have to wait it out which sounds easy but it isn't.Love to you Giraffe x

8. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Thank you for the ideas. There are some there I hadn't thought of.

9. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

And thank you for the kind thoughts [​IMG]

10. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

All the ideas on here are really good.
    I've made myself a music playlist which has songs in it that give me the messages I need to hear when my negative voices are a bit too loud and I find that really changes my mood.
    I'm not a huge reader of poetry, but I do have a few that I turn to that express things a lot better than I can and remind me that I'm not alone.
    And of course the message board has been a support - not necessarily posting myself, but reading other people's posts and replies helps to remind me I am like everyone else when I feel cut off from the world.
    But as others have said, if you feel it going on for a week to 10 days plus, get along to your doctor so you are staying in control, not the depression.
    Hope you feel better soon.[​IMG]

11. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Many thanks

12. I always think you are such a good hearted person, I don't think I have ever seen you say anything nasty on here. What you are like in r/l though...!
    I remember reading about some foods being helpful with depression - mashed potato and toast. Probably things like blueberries as well, to keep up your mineral levels or whatever. How facile does that sound? I mean well though.
    I have found Kalms good, placebo no doubt, but I have found them useful at times, although I have only ever been fed up not suffered from depression.
    Be good.
    X