1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What else can you do with a PGCE Primary?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by munchy56, Apr 28, 2012.

1. I am 7 weeks away from finishing my PGCE and it is starting to get to me. My second placement was really challenging and I struggled to manage behaviour. I have also been to a few interviews and been unsuccessful. I am now unsure about teaching. I loved my first placement and loved being in school as a TA last year, but now I go home miserable most nights worrying about finding a job and my lessons for placement.

It may be just my bad experience on my last placement and not getting those jobs getting me down, but if full time class teaching is too much for me. Can anyone suggest what other careers or jobs I could look at? I do love working with children and being involved in school is there anything I could do similar, but maybe with more worklife balance because I am the kind of person that can't switch off my worries when I go home.

Thank you for reading. I appreciate any advice.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If you enjoyed being a TA, why not consider that. Would still involve being with children without all the 'paperwork and behavioural responsibility and work'life balance' elements.
    However, I would encourage you to give teaching a chance. The last few months of your PGCE are full of stresses and you may find you feel differently after a while.

3. I am not far from finishing my PGCE Primary too and while my placements have been fine I am also preparing for not entering the profession. There are simply too many teachers chasing jobs. I, like most of my fellow trainees, are asking ourselves why the government keeps funding places when there are so few jobs.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I agree with you there.
    And moreover, there have been more PGCE places in areas (NE and SW) where it is extremely hard to get a job.
    Try this long document for some ideas - the Table of Contents towards the beginning gives a whole page of "near-teaching" equivalents to working in schools.
    Although I must warn you all that, actually, teaching is a relatively well-paid career with a regular rise up a payscale, which is not the case in many jobs.
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/careers/assets/documents/Alternativestoteaching.pdf
    Best wishes

5. I am preparing mentally at the moment. I think there is still some hope and while I am in the South West, I am able to move so can look in London etc. For those who must look in the South West though it is a little bleak.

6. Hi
    I'm not sure you will get this reply as your message was written back in April. I just wanted to say that I am feeling in exactly the same position and am starting to doubt whether I should still persue teaching after several unsuccessful interviews. I realise that doesn't help your situation but I thought it migth help to know that there are others who feel the same! It also comforted me to read your message and know that I am not alone in feeling this way so thank you!
    I hope that you have been successful since this post.
    Good luck