1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What else can a teacher do?.

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by ashenton, Oct 30, 2018.

1. ashenton

ashenton New commenter

Hi,
    I am just wondering if anyone has any ideas of jobs for teacher qualified people. I have been a teacher for 20 plus years. I am only 45 but feel as though I am on the scrap heap. I have had yearly temporary contracts and supply work for the last 4 year, after giving up full time in 2014 to look after my terminally ill mum in law. I have not been able to get back in to anywhere permanently. I am always given amazing feedback, loved by kids, parents and colleagues, I work my guts out and then get told that due to budget constraints I am being replaced by nqts. I am tired and fed up of giving my all for nothing. What other jobs could I do??

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Teachers do go into many other careers- just look at showbusiness! I have known ex teachers who are now accountants, estate agents, health managers and self employed as tutors and counsellors. The problem with entering other professions is the training and professional qualifications also having to start on lower salary levels. Even supply work is relatively highly paid compared to most jobs. Check with your university to see if they offer alumni careers advice- many do. prospects.ac is a useful website for information about careers beyond the classroom and jobs involving working with children. You can also search for the National Careers Service that gives advice to adults.