1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What education buzzword do you love to hate?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 16, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Roll up, roll up, and get ready to see a feast for the eyes, for the following words are not just any words to inspire and tantalise the teachers of today and tomorrow. These education terms and phrases are supposed to describe the latest fashionable fads and trends to engage children in the classroom. How about plenary, Assessment for Learning, Brain gym, flipped learning, do they bring about happy memories or long sighs of despair? And which ones over the years have you heard a little too often and which ones should never have seen the light of day? It’s time to play buzzword bonanza to find out what terms need to relegated to the school library?

If you’re looking for inspiration then Mark Esner may be the best person to help you remember those hard to forget phrases:

‘As mentioned, a feature of educational buzzwords is they get attached to things they probably shouldn’t. So eyebrows were raised when Ofsted said it would be looking at cultural capital and defined it as “the essential knowledge that pupils need to be educated citizens, introducing them to the best that has been thought and said and helping to engender an appreciation of human creativity and achievement”.

While a reasonable (if contested) statement about the purpose of education, I am not sure that Bourdieu would have recognised this definition.’

Mark Enser is head of geography and research lead at Heathfield Community College.

Share your ‘favourites’ here and tell us why you love to hate them or you may love them, there’s nothing wrong with that.

https://www.tes.com/news/ofsted-social-mobility-and-cultural-capital-mix

2. colpee

colpee Star commenter

We’ve had endless of threads on this subject. Is it only me who gets a distinct clickbait/page-hit data gathering feeling about the unending push to read articles that one can find for oneself?

(but don’t because so many articles are low-grade ‘look at me’ scribbles)

sbkrobson likes this.
  3. WB

WB Occasional commenter

Learning walk
    Thinking hats
    Latest research

Sally006, Dodros and BetterNow like this.
  4. WB

WB Occasional commenter

Pupil conferencing

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Support

It'll always be support. It sets off alarm bells every single time.

6. WB

WB Occasional commenter

Mocksted

7. WB

WB Occasional commenter

Growth Mindset

alex_teccy, Pomza, Sally006 and 6 others like this.
  8. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

That's the most menacing. But I hate them all. Why can't we just speak to each other plainly without dressing things up? Jargon is usually used to hide the real agenda, to sell a way of teaching grandma to suck eggs or to baffle. None of these are needed in my life.

9. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

No? But someone gets paid a lot to teach you how to suck eggs? And the emperor has to have his new clothes, or new words, doesn't he?

10. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Apparently so.

11. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

Deep dive is the latest phrase. Hate it with a passion.

12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

All of them.

Without exception.

13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

"Buzzword bonanza" (more tea, Vicar?) is known by another name in actual schools, Rosaline. As I expect you knew.

14. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

"Flipped classroom", which seems to have entered the educational canon since I retired a decade ago. The phrase really irritates me, conjuring up as it does the image of a classroom where both teachers and students have finally "flipped", i.e. lost their temper, reason or even sanity. There must surely be a better term for the idea. Flipping jargon - who needs it?;)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  15. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Beat me to it.

16. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Is a "thinking hat" now the upper- or middle-class version of what we used to call a "thinking cap"?

17. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Not an educational buzz word so much but the same sort of thing. One of my favourite memories of a meeting. -- the manager (I can't bring myself to say "senior") was going on and on at the front about something or other and used the acronym "MM3". I thought it might have been important so I whispered about me if anybody knew what she meant. Getting shrugs from everybody, I put up my hand and asked her what "MM3". "Management meeting 3" ---- All I could think was "stupid boy" a la Cpt. Mannering!

18. Laphroig

Laphroig Lead commenter

Delivering the curriculum. I have pointed out the lack of imagination in this metaphor in the past - several different levels of service: the recipient being out when a delivery is attempted; over priced and underfunded, etc - and been judged not a team member.

19. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

As @lanokia & @primarycat said, 'support programme' is nearly always the tocsin bell, tolling the end of your career at a school.

Like @TCSC47 , the buzzwords I found most annoying were those the meanings of which i could not understand. When a new buzzword started to do the rounds, my first thought was how much extra work it might involve me in doing.

Unnecessary buzzwords, liked 'cohort', when 'year group' would have done.

'Jargon rules! Ongoing agreement situation.'

20. NoIdeaWhy2

NoIdeaWhy2 New commenter

Went on a course last week and the word ‘impactfulness’ was used copious times.
    Completely agree re emperor’s new clothes. I just sit there, looking at everyone being taken in and wonder if it’s just me who doesn’t get it.

TCSC47 and towncryer like this.