1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What duties do HLTAs carry out at your school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by m1sschatterbox, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Just wondered what HLTAs do at your school. Their roles and responsibilities have differed depending on what school I have been at.
    Thanks for any responses.

2. Just wondered what HLTAs do at your school. Their roles and responsibilities have differed depending on what school I have been at.
    Thanks for any responses.

3. One to one support (ie Catchup), classroom support working alongside the teacher with groups, playground duty, ppa cover.

4. Do you plan for the PPA cover and prepare all the resources?

5. My PPA isn't covered in this way, but it is my understanding that the HLTA sticks to one subject that they deliver to classes they cover PPA for. The plans are already in place for the subject on the school server and the resources are already identified. The HLTA is the person who will do our bulk copying for us when they have the time, so they use this same time to copy/prepare for the PPA lesson as well. For one of the year groups, the teacher in the parallel class prepares her work for the same subject and shares her planning and resources with the HLTA.
    The HLTA is very conscientious about marking work that they have done with the class. Although that is a very grey area I understand. I have heard that HLTAs should not be required to plan or mark work they deliver, but I also know that teachers are not required to plan or mark work delivered to their class by the person covering PPA.

6. All PPA which includes planning and making resources. They also get PPA to do their planning and marking.
    They cover when staff are off.
    The support classes when needed.
    They cover after school clubs and breakfast clubs.
    We have 4 HLTAS

7. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

PPA lessons in afternoons - Music/PE/PSHE (nothing else)