1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What doors does a PGCE/QTS open other than teaching?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by gloriamica, Mar 2, 2016.

1. gloriamica

gloriamica New commenter

I'm thinking about quitting the PGCE - I am finding myself depressed and demotivated, and I cannot really handle the workload.

Alternatively I might make an effort to finish the PGCE, but not apply for any NQT jobs. Is a PGCE useful for any other jobs? Will it open any other doors?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I can't think of anything else.

3. oHelzo

oHelzo Occasional commenter

Anything in or related to education and training really - if you can sell your skills well enough. I completed mine but never taught in schools and now run training sessions and help produce training packages as part of my job. Even in generic management, you learn that many behavioural traits of staff are similar to five year old. And being able to boom and silence a room full of chat is a skill that comes in handy. You've paid for it and might as well get the piece of paper and make the most of it!

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

It is a postgraduate level qualification and you will find ex teachers in all sorts of jobs I know estate agents, actors/musicians, social workers and exotic dancers who are all ex teachers. You need to discuss your options with the university careers service who can advise you in detail about these jobs and provide information about other local employment opportunities.

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

If you feel that by making an effort you could finish your PGCE I don't understand why you wouldn't. Life requires effort sometimes. Talk to your tutors about workload and see what help they can offer. Remember that doing anything for the first time is hard and everything you do at the moment is a first - it will get easier.

6. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

The question was about the doors a PGCE might open - I'm not convinced that those ex teachers working in other fields are working there specifically because they have a PGCE...they just happen to be ex teachers who've got other jobs. Their experience as qualified teachers might have helped them develop skills useful in other jobs - but the mere possession of a PGCE is not usually a criterion for employment in any other field than teaching.

wanet likes this.
  7. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Don't let your PGCE year put you off teaching. My PGCE year was far worse than any year I've had in teaching, in terms of workload, stress and just feeling plain old useless. I thought I'd made a huge mistake.

Now,most of the time, I love teaching.

8. wanet

wanet Star commenter

For another career your degree is likely to be more important than the PGCE. If you can't handle the PGCE workload, then definetly not teaching. Personally, when i did a PGCE was probably the easiest time I had during my career.

9. gloriamica

gloriamica New commenter

Yes that totally describes the way I feel. At times I feel really incompetent, almost as if I'm doing a disservice to the kids.

10. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You're a student. You're learning how to teach. Of course you won't be instantly competent - that's what you are aiming towards.

11. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I was talking to a group of colleagues this week. They all said that they hated their PGCE. All had a dreadful time, all hated their mentors. At least one cried every day of the course (no idea why). We all cried at some stage. Yet we all survived and became successful ( I hope) teachers.