1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does your TEACCH day look like?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Lainey88, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I have been teaching in SEN for a while now and I am so happy to be back teaching in a class for students with ASD who work using TEACCH methods (workstations, 1:1 learning, etc). I only have a very small number of students (3) due to their complex and challenging needs and we are lucky to have 1:1 support for each pupil although we are finding that as the year progresses we don't always need this level of support.

Basically my question is this - how do you structure a lesson for your students? Do you all meet as a group first and come together at the end of your lessons? Do you follow the same curriculum as everyone else or is it more tailor made for student's likes and dislikes? How long are your lessons?

Thank you

Lainey

2. I promise I put paragraphs into my post as well - they must have been lost!

3. Hi Lainey,
    My day varies depending on the class I have, I teach in a special needs school and at the moment I have 7 children in an ASD class. We also use the TEACCH approach, using workboxes and checking in and out of areas. I also have a very low distraction classroom for my boys. I can give you an example of my Literacy lessons at the mo baring in mine my children are working at levels P1 - P3ii

I split the children into two groups, a 4 and a 3 according to their ability. while one group does the Literacy lesson the others go into a little light room for some intensive interaction.
    During my Literacy lesson, onthe whiteboard I have a picture of the first child, they have to come up and tap the whiteboard to get another picture and a noise up. They then sit back down, I tap a drum in front of them and they copy, usually supported then we sing hello to the child and they press the big mack to say hello as all my class are non verbal. we do this for each child. Then I ask children to sign me if they want a turn for singing we choose between two songs using objects of reference i use the website http://learnenglishkids.britishcouncil.org/en/listen-and-watch as the children really respond to watching it on the whiteboard.
    Once singing has finished each child using their PECs books to request bubbles which signals the end of the lesson. Then we sing "circle time has finished now, finished now, finished now, circle time has finished now, time to go and check" then they check their schedules. Obviously it depends on how able your children are but mine will only sit and concentrate for maximum 15 minutes before behaviour issues come out.
    For IEP work we use workstations and they work one to one with an adult.
    As for afternoon sessions I don't do science, history, geography in the nirmal sense of the word. My children are very sensory learners so we learn like that I do dry sensory sessions, wet sessions, water play, sand play, massage, foot spas etc. We do a lot of work in twos or threes, i dont often have the children all together for a lesson as it is too much wiating around for them.
    Hope this helps, feel free to email me if you want any other information.