1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does your school expect of you in lockdown?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by stresagirl, May 4, 2020.

1. stresagirl

stresagirl New commenter

Wondering what is happening out there with other schools...…..

We are expected to- prepare home learning for our year group every week,
    - comment regularly on the work chn upload,
    - attend Zoom meetings x2 a week,
    - write reports,
    - make and log phone calls home

Now our new head has decided this is the best time to overhaul our curriculum and has put us into subject groups to re-write the planning for September, all remotely of course with colleagues we have never worked with before.

Finding this overwhelming as have my own children to care for / home school so it's late evening when I get to do all this ( not the calls home !)

Is this workload pretty standard at the moment?

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Yep.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have three ZOOM lessons in the morning and I am supposed to mark my students' assignments. That is about it! Occasionally we have an online meeting, but not that often. Yes, we had to write end-of-semester reports, but they were mercifully brief.

4. drvs

drvs Star commenter

The temporal relationship between what my school expects and what I'm doing is a divergent one :rolleyes:

vannie, Stiltskin, sabrinakat and 5 others like this.
  5. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs Occasional commenter

My school is an indy and we are expected to plan three lessons per day and mark all work uploaded. But we two-form entry and so can share the lesson planning/delivery between us. Other than that we have to write our end of year reports, but I guess we would be doing that anyway. Obvs. we are on full pay. How does that seem to others?

6. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

Same as the OP but that's nothing really different than what we would be doing if we were in school. The only annoying thing is that I have no access to paper copies of things I would like for the curriculum overhaul. Add to the above either upload videos of teaching or live on Google Classroom which I haven't tried yet. To be honest, although I would rather be in school with the kids, I am not finding a greater workload.

7. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

@stresagirl I would actually quite like to rewrite the planning for our year group now (rather than doing it in August), but I’m not going to start doing it until I know I’m going to be in the same year group again. I don’t have young children though. It must be so hard trying to juggle home schooling your own children and meeting the demands of your school. :(

8. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

We are doing all lessons live online. Plus there's the work to collect, collate and feedback on.
    I feel sorry for Y11 and 13 who would be on study leave now but who are this year expected to see it out to the bitter end.

We also have reports to write but that will come later as our end of term date has been shifted back a bit.

9. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

reading this, I feel that our school is expecting rather a lot.

2 zoom lessons a day
    2 uploaded paper lessons a day
    around 10 phone calls a day
    1 class assignment marked and feedback given every day
    4 zoom meetings a week
    constant lesson observations feeding into PM
    reports to be written as normal
    yes, curriculum overhaul now too!

This is obviously not possible if you are a parent to young children.

10. blushingberry

blushingberry New commenter

Attending provision one day a week and planning snd resourcing for that day.
    Pick and mix grids of work for children to access weekly.
    Commenting on any work submitted. Not much.
    End of year eports.
    Review long term plan with planning partner.
    Replanning Mtp for the whole of next year.
    Updating various policies.
    Updating SDP.

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

This is the primary board, you are teaching in secondary and have a tenuous grasp of the truth at the best of times.

12. caterpillartobutterfly

Have they not finished completely? There are no exams for them to work towards?
    You mean you are continuing to teach in to the summer holiday? I thought the government had said this wasn't going to happen.

13. colacao17

SOrry, should have made it clear. I'm in a private school overseas.
    Keeping the poor 11s and 13s on is being done (and they know it) to justify fees for the term.
    Running a couple of weeks into the summer is(I think) to appease parents in lower primary where the online teaching programme was a bit stuttery at the beginning.

14. caterpillartobutterfly

Ahhhhhh I see. That makes more sense.
    Bet they are thrilled about that! :D
    Ohhh ok. When did you shut? (Just cos I'm nosy!)

15. colacao17

We closed some time in march, got a few weeks online teaching in before the Easter Holidays. But while online teaching is relatively straightforward for seconday students, it didn't suit the youngest kids (or their parents). Not sure what they're doing, I have great admiration for our EY and KS1 colleagues.

16. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

Zooming from 9 to 1.30 5 days a week, broken down into 7 lessons. Then marking, prep, answering parent emails. I'm normally part time working 26 hours a week (no Mondays). Only four teachers Zooming. Last week I clocked up 38 hours but won't get overtime as have to be grateful I'm not on Furlough!!

17. blushingberry

blushingberry New commenter

If you're working over, then it sounds like they need to take a teacher off furlough!

18. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We have a planning rota across the two schools in our federation. The staff that are shielding are completing weekly planning for their year group as they are not rotate into school, other years are on a two week rota. If they are planning that week they are not on rota into school ( two days over 3 weeks). No zoom lessons, just worksheets, links to videos etc. Teachers are asked to acknowledge work submitted but no marking is needed as answer sheets are provided so children can mark their own. Teachers reply to any queries they receive ( not many so far!) They have been asked to complete one page annual reports. No meetings, no phone calls.

19. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Very little.
    • One day a week in school to babysit keyworker kids.
    • Update action plan for our subject area.
    • Make phone calls home every fortnight.
    That's it. We put an outline of activities by year group on the school website to last 8 weeks. Not particularly onerous as we just copied another school's with a bit of tweaking.

No live lessons, marking etc

I've written reports for the children, although we haven't been asked to do it. I just wanted to get ahead of the game and it passed a few hours while I watched Jeremy Vine and This Morning.

20. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Lesson observations? Are you being serious?