1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does your Reception Classroom look like? Please help

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Cupcake2404, Jul 21, 2012.

1. This is my first post as a NQT and a year group I have never taught. I understand that the room should be divided into different areas but i'm scared of missing one out! What areas do you have in your reception room and how do you resource them? I have been in the school last week but obviously everything was in the middle of being stripped down and moved out as we are having lots of new furniture. The reception teacher was finding the transition to another area of the school quite emotionally challenging so I didn't want to bombard her with questions on what she thought my classroom should look like.

Please help me experienced reception teachers, what areas/displays do u have? what do u put in them? How do you make them inspiring? What do I really definitely need to know? Feel super lost at the moment, couldn't sleep last night for worrying, not a great start to the holidays!

Thank you.

Jane.

2. Definitely a reading/book corner, an area for role play, a mark-making/writing area.
    And then enjoy playing around with the space you have left.
    Lots of people would have a 'workshop' area that may focus on creative activities, construction, physical skills. Lots would have an investigation area, with sciencey stuff in it. Lots would have maths stuff in an area too.
    Everything you have could be in an 'area' but only you can know how much space and what resources you have.
    I think a classroom is quite personal to the teacher, while trying to provide the right environment for your children.

3. Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it is personal and down to resources etc just hoping that from other peoples classes, experience and styles I might draw some inspiration. What does yours look like HP?

Thank you
    J x

4. Difficult to say as I like to change everything in the summer holidays! Change is as good as a rest!
    I do use voiles to enhance some areas.T he bit near the toilets/exit to outdoors was always under-used, so I used voiles by the skylights and now cildren use it more extensively. I've done that for about 4 years, so it's not just one set of children.
    This year I'm going to try out a larger roleplay space initially, with deconstructed roleplay, in other words not setting it up too specifically, letting children use the resources I put there much more freely.
    I'm also going to try and use walls for child-led displays - a bit tricky as I have very few display spaces low enough for this. So I can't dictate the displays as much as I would normally, I have to wait and see what children do/want.
    This isn't helping, is it?
    I wonder if I can send a photo or two - might put some on resources. If you click on my user name that would take you to my resources. I don't claim my room is right or good. There's so much I'm hoping to change.
    Really, trust yourself, and allow yourself the fun of experimenting a bit!

5. It's been said on here before, but as another reception nqt I'll be modelling a lot of my practice on my new hero - http://abcdoes.typepad.com/ - he is well worth a look!

6. Agreed.

7. Agreed!

8. Thanks for the advice, i will take a look. Any more advice from anyone?

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

10. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

Totally agree with what everyone else has said but I think for your own sake you need to set it up to start with then you can play about when you know the children.
    I had to set up my nursery from scratch when we moved in to a new classroom and this would be my advice-
    Start with stuff that is necessary to have in a particular space, e.g. it's likely that whatever the children are like you'll have a painting easel or similar and that would have to be on hard floor instead of carpet. So sort out carpet area vs hard floor first.
    Then look at your corners, some might already be taken up by permanent fixtures, our computer desk is fixed in one corner and coat pegs in another, decide what you want in the corners, I have the role play area in one corner as it is then easier if you want to transform it using voiles or other scenery setters.
    Once you've done that it will be easier to see what stuff you've got left, think about where YOU will need storage, for things like current newsletters and where you'll store things for children to access. You can use storage to section off areas as well but be careful that if it isn't against a wall it's not likely to fall over.
    No matter how well you set it up there will be something that doesn't work, when you realise it doesn't just change it!

11. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

Apologies for no paragraphs, am posting on phone!