1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does your 2nd do?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by passionateteacher, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I am a newly appointed HOD at a secondary school and am interested in finding out what your second in department is responsible for. When I was AHOD I was assigned a key stage to be in charge of and that seemed to work well. However, my current manager does not like that style and wants my second to do "HOD stuff.". This is not helpful for a new HOD!

Any advice is appreciated..

2. Hi all,

I am a newly appointed HOD at a secondary school and am interested in finding out what your second in department is responsible for. When I was AHOD I was assigned a key stage to be in charge of and that seemed to work well. However, my current manager does not like that style and wants my second to do "HOD stuff.". This is not helpful for a new HOD!

Any advice is appreciated..

3. In a couple of schools I have seen 2nds do....
    Timetabling
    Coordinating one or both key stages, managing admin and data, lesson obs, 'learning walks'
    Intervention for one or both key stages
    Managing APP

4. I have been AHOD for 7 years now, and have done a rotation so that I got experience of "HOD stuff". I've written SOWs for KS3 and KS4; been responsible for numeracy across the curriculum; assessment; APP; SEN; ICT; exam entries; extra-curricular and probably a few other things that I can't remember!

Your best bet is to talk to your 2ic and see if there's anything they are particularly interested in developing. That way, you can enable them to take the lead on it and then monitor from a distance. They will be motivated to do it because it's their area of interest. Gives them a boost and also frees up some of your time to devote to "settling in".

Good luck with your new job :)

5. Completely forgot I'd replied to this.
    How did you first half term go?

6. Absolutely exhausting, but I have loved it! And it is going well with my AHOD. Thanks for asking!