1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does this mean for you in your current situation?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TEA2111, Oct 10, 2015.

1. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

A psychologist walked around a room while teaching stress management to an audience. As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they'd be asked the "half empty or half full" question. Instead, with a smile on her face, she inquired: "How heavy is this glass of water?"

Answers called out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.

She replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long I ...hold it. If I hold it for a minute, it's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my arm. If I hold it for a day, my arm will feel numb and paralyzed. In each case, the weight of the glass doesn't change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes."

She continued, "The stresses and worries in life are like that glass of water. Think about them for a while and nothing happens. Think about them a bit longer and they begin to hurt. And if you think about them all day long, you will feel paralyzed – incapable of doing anything."

Remember to put the glass down.

(Courtesy of Jimmy Harmon)

2. fishtoe

fishtoe New commenter

Don't think teachers are allowed to admit to stress, never mind putting the glass down. They keep going until it shatters.

mark6243 and TEA2111 like this.
  3. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

A lot of the teachers I know fill it with alcohol on a Friday night!

4. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

If it's a glass of beer, it becomes a lot lighter a lot quicker.

lanokia likes this.
  5. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Blimey, teachers these days have time to drink a glass of water! You don't know you're born....

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A good story.

I like this guy and his videos. Might not work for others but they've helped me.

snowyhead likes this.
  7. mark6243

mark6243 Occasional commenter

If anyone says to you that 'staff morale is at an all-time low', you know you are doing something right'

'Let me tell you about stress. Stress is what my father felt, who struggled to find a job in the Fifties and Sixties and who often had to work long hours in three different jobs and at weekends to support a growing family.

Stress is what I was under when I started as a head in 1985 in the context of widespread industrial action Teachers walking out of class at a moment's notice, doing lunch duty on my own every day for three years because of colleagues who worked to rule, covering five classes in the sports hall when there was no-one to teach them
    '

Both quotes from that sh1t Wilshaw. Apparently, we don't know what stress is, and even if we do, we should man up and deal with it. want to use such bad words when discussing this appalling human being.

I'd never wanted to break the jaw of an old man until he became HMCI. ****.

8. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Apart from being a prize banker, Wilshaw is also an expert in mental health conditions too. Is there no end to his talents?

mark6243 likes this.
  9. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

........and your job as teachers is to ensure that 95% of your students will have their glass filled up by at least 4 markers, despite the fact that despite you throwing water or telling them how to fill the glass with water for themselves, some will still refuse or chose to throw the water over each other.

mark6243 and snowyhead like this.
  10. drek

drek Star commenter

Aah I see. Now he can get his revenge on those awful people that he had to work with, all those painful years ago.
    I understand where all his draconian policing of teachers comes from now, and why managers in school spend all their time asking teachers for writfen evidence of how they spend every minute in the classroom.
    The policies he advocates but very carefully avoids taking responsibility for, are all management biased. He has become the very person he once despised. Unable to negotiate and as threatening as he claims his workforce once were.

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not if they're Primary they don't.
    With my present cold I'm having to severely restrict my liquid intake. In this cold weather I seem to constantly want to'go' but of course can't leave a class. That's where Sec teachers find it easier to pop in for a comfort break between lessons.