1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does success look like to you?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dogcat, Feb 15, 2012.

1. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

Is it career, own home, ambition etc, or is it having lots of close friends, husband/wife and a family? Or is it all of the above?
    I know people who I went to school with who do seem to have all of the above, I wonder how this is possible?!
    I seem to only be successful at the first section!
    So what does 'being successful' look like to you?

2. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

Is it career, own home, ambition etc, or is it having lots of close friends, husband/wife and a family? Or is it all of the above?
    I know people who I went to school with who do seem to have all of the above, I wonder how this is possible?!
    I seem to only be successful at the first section!
    So what does 'being successful' look like to you?

3. bnm

bnm

Being happy. Getting the most of living for each day of life that is granted to me.
    Looking back on my deathbed and knowing that I have been loved, and have loved. Knowing I have done and seen the things I want to do and see.
    In the meantime, by no design, I have secured a comfortable home and a (usually) satifying career.
    I feel successful. Am totally shocked by my good fortune. Can't believe my life has turned out to be so happy. I had low expectations of the experience.

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Success, to me, would be having led a life such that Cary Grant would have been happy to portray me in the biopic of my life.

5. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Careful, bnm. On the odd occasion that I feel that life is a bowl of cherries, something always happens to pull the rug from under me! [​IMG]

6. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

My first thought was that success is as simple as being happy without it being at anybody else's expense. That happiness may come from friends, family, job, pets, garden. travel or a combination of any of the above at any particular stage in your life - it is unique to you. I am sure the things which make me feel content and happy may make others feel discontent or unhappy.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Success to me is about being alive, healthy, a good husband, a supportive father, able to pay for our chosen lifestyle, and not losing my sense of humour.

It has nothing to do with promotion, results, meeting targets, status, material wealth, possessions, how many people I'm in charge of, undying student gratitude, or what anyone outside my family thinks of me.

8. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

Happiness and contentment were the 2 words that sprang to my mind. I wondered if I were being naive and was glad to see others thought the same.xx

9. being you, being happy, sod the money, it does not bring happiness!! I have 2 lovely boys, my world, thought career was, it was not. I knew love when I had them. Real happiness. good luck!

10. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

[​IMG]
    The rest is easy.

11. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Success for me would being able to agree with my wife about two flies walking up the wall.
    I look back on various parts of my life where I was a success, earned lots of money then lost it all. But I was there once, and maybe that's enough.
    Or maybe there's something else I've been a success at, and that is retaining a wife that everyone else wants to own. They all love her and try to tempt her away but she appreciates which side the bread is buttered after a fling,
    Believe it or not I was present when a pensioner, ten years older was hoping to date her, and she abruptly closed the conversation with I'm married to modemaker so it's a no go.
    And I suppose that's ultimately the best you can hope for. A partner who see you through old age and not be tempted elsewhere.

12. Dogcat it seems that you are looking at what others have and feeling inadequate in comparrison. Trust me there will be some of your friends who have "successful lives" who would happily swap what they ahve for waht you have - people don't always show what's really going on in their lives.

For me I would say that a successful life is one where you have enough money not to worry about paying bills, good health, regular employment and friends and family to share the simple things with. Anything extra is a bonus.

13. A fridge full of beer.

14. Ha Ha! Promise to send you Scottish results soon probably by snail mail: have wasted hours editing your answer sheet in different colours. Suffice it to say you did achieve a positive score. xx

15. [​IMG]
    Success is achieving at least one correct answer in Kinsa's Scottish/Burns quiz!

16. Success in my opinion:

Relative happiness
    Relative financial okay-ness
    Health
    Having and managing to maintain your friendships and family relationships
    Being able to pursue activities, interests and talents which make you you (if that makes sense) ie. not always letting life get in the way, or getting to the point where you realise you've spent most of your life being selfless. A wee bit of selfishness is quite healthy.

17. Freedom.

18. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

It appears most people view success via friends, family and loved ones. In which case I am a little screwed!!!
    My new Yrs resolution was to make more of an effort in those areas, and newly single to decide what I want to pursue in life so hopefully by 2013 I shall feel more successful!

19. I could be getting you mixed up with someone else, but aren't you quite young dogcat? If so you have plenty of time to pursue 'success' however you see it.
    In my twenties I viewed success using totally different criteria to what I use now.

20. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

Yeah, I am 28 soon. I have ticked a lot of the boxes I thought were important, house career etc, but seem to have missed out on the other side of sticking at a relationship and making effort with friends and family!
    To be honest, the career side is not a massive success or anything, I just have one really!