1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does 'Sector leading good practice?' in year 4 look like?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Waterfin, Jul 12, 2011.

1. On our new Estyn lesson observation forms, you are now deemed outstanding only if you demonstrate excellent teaching, including 'examples of sector leading good practice'....am beginning to think that I am never going to get an outstanding grade now.
    Does anyone know what type of things constitute 'Sector leading good practice'?

2. On our new Estyn lesson observation forms, you are now deemed outstanding only if you demonstrate excellent teaching, including 'examples of sector leading good practice'....am beginning to think that I am never going to get an outstanding grade now.
    Does anyone know what type of things constitute 'Sector leading good practice'?

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Why would you care? Even if you get 'outstanding', is your pay cheque going to change?

4. One one level Lardy, I know you speak the truest sense....on another completely irrational level, for once I'd like to be one of those in my school who are looked on favourably by the SMT as doing great things.
    Sadly, good but not outstanding, solid but not sparkly is about all I'm going to get.

5. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Why don't you ask the smt you're so keen to impress to demonstrate this for you? Surely, they won't have forgotten how to be a hoop jumper already.

6. Your lessons can't be graded sector leading, only the school as a whole can.
    Your lessons certainly can be graded excellent if the children make rapid progress during the lesson, skills are being built on, all children are engaged and challenged etc. Have a look at the new Estyn inspection framework under standards, that's what they are looking for.

Sector-leading practice means something the school are doing has a significant impact on raising standards that is then shared with other schools.
    Again, have a look at recent inspections that have judged schools as sector leading.

7. Unfortunately, because it is there in black and white at the top of the lesson observation for,, my SMT take it as black and white. People at our school have been observed against these criteria and the justification for not giving an outstanding grade is that nothing that is sector leading was demonstrated.

8. Your SMT are WRONG!!!
    lessons have four grades
    Excellent, good, adequate and unsatisfactory
    The term outstanding is not being used under this round of inspections
    and I am also an Estyn inspector (but keep that quiet!!)

9. Thankyou for your advice. The problem is that the SMT can be wrong, but with confidence!
    I plan on reading up on the case studies of 'sector leading practice' that are on the Estyn site and making sure that things that are referenced on there that we (and I) already do are evident in my lessons and that I point them in the direction of the site should they query it!

10. PS. How do I find out about those schools? Is it the video link thingy or are there written case studies?

11. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

Your SLT really don't seem to get it. The other posters are correct - the schedule is written to describe teaching across the whole school.
    But, perhaps more importantly, it is highly unlikely that an individual teacher will ever display "sector-leading good practice", which is almost certain to be put in place by SLT: maybe your school has invested in resources to develop amazing ICT provision; or maybe SLT have implemented a really good AfL system which leads to rapid progress. If there is no such thing, then the ball is back in their court ... if they want to be outstanding, then they should be implementing stuff on a school-wide level!