1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does one do?

Discussion in 'English' started by MissTrouble, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Gave my Year 11's a practice Lit essay to do in the hols(oh yes!).
    Just marked them and bar about 3, it is painfully obvious ALL are form coursework websites!
    The language is superb!The text references outstanding!But it's not THEIR work.
    I'm handing them back Monday-what's the best way to handle this?It's not for coursework,it's exam practice. But using someone else's work and claiming it is yours?Maybe I should get them all to write the same essay in exam conditions????

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Yes.
    And Google likely phrases and write the web address on their work .
    Then bin every single one in front of them and thank them sweetly for wasting your time and ask them how they propose to repay it.

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I don't know if it's possible, but I would triple check the three genuine essays and see if you can get someone to sit with the class while they do the essay and take the three out. I'd buy a cake, make a pot of tea and sit somewhere with them going over their essays and doing a fun revision activity that the rest will get to hear about.

Probably not possible, but I think it's the sort of situation where someone from SMT should bo!!ock them and sit with them while they do it properly. Reading this back, I realise that it's something we would all agree on in our department but that nobody else would do more than wring their hands about. Which, I think, is why it happens.

4. love the idea of ripping up the essays!

5. I love the idea of rewarding the kids who did it unaided....because however lacking they are in detail, they are UNAIDED.
    I also love the idea of making the rest do the essay again using just the novel to prove my point..because whatever they write WON'T match their plagarised versions!
    Don;t you just love this job?

6. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

This is why I whinged and moaned until school paid for Turnitin! We caught one student on the first go through, and there was no way for them to get round it. The news spread very fast, and the strongly worded letter home helped!
    In the past, I have spent time going through the work with a highlighter identfiying their plagiarism and showing exactly where they have got the information from, then copied it home to parents, to the HoY and HoD, along with the relevant page from the spec which refers to the need for doing their own work, and saying that whilst this is not CW, it does give me reason to mistrust their CW, and referring to the fact that they would be awarded zero, and possibly harsher penalties by the board. It'll take ages, but I would be tempted to do this in this situation, and put all of the miscreants in afterschool detention and make them do it again properly.

7. sweetie1

sweetie1 New commenter

Generally, at GCSE level, it's really easy to spot plagarism as the OP indicated. I just make a note of the website on the script and stop marking. For exam practice, I now do timed essays in lessons. Exam conditions mean I can get on with some marking with the occasional march around the room; it also gives the students a taste of what the real thing is like.
    I also issue lists of past questions so that more dedicated students can practise writing away from lessons. I mark these for them and give them verbal feedback; sadly, it is usually only a handful of students who use this!

8. Took

Took New commenter

After I caught two of my Year 11s plagerising repeatedly, including one who copied the essay of another member of the class (as if I wouldn't notice!) I told the entire class that all homework / practice essays had to be hand written. My thinking was that, although they are happy to copy and paste, they would be too lazy to physically copy something out by hand. So far it seems to have worked!!
    I just love the fact that they seem to think we don't know theur level of writing and can spot plagerised work a mile off!

9. Find the original of every single essay, print if off the website with web references, etc and staple it to the back of the work that was handed in. Write a covering letter explaining the gravity of this indiscretion (i.e. at the zenith they can have all their exams pulled), put a reply slip on to come back to you and send it home. Keep copies of everything.

10. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Precisely.

11. thanks for all the good ideas!