1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does noncontact time mean to you?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by memory stick, Mar 19, 2012.

1. After having a discussion in the staff room, some staff have different opinions as to what they should do in noncontact time. Is it time to catch up with administrative tasks, time to go to the shops, time to read a magazine or time to prepare. What's your opinion?

2. After having a discussion in the staff room, some staff have different opinions as to what they should do in noncontact time. Is it time to catch up with administrative tasks, time to go to the shops, time to read a magazine or time to prepare. What's your opinion?

3. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Any of the above! In reality, I can count on one hand the number of times I've left school during NC time during the last three years but if there's something I can get done more efficiently at that time then why not? It's one of the few perks of the job - being allowed to be flexible with our time. However, my NC time often gets used up by people asking things in passing and other little things coming up. I have one day with a big chunk of NC when I always think I'll get loads done but then something disastrous happens like the computers stop working!

4. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Established commenter

Something we won't have next year if Mr McCormac has his way

5. At the moment we are trusted to complete any planning, marking, preparation etc. in a time and place of our choosing. I usually mark in non-contact but if I want to nip to the shop or sit and have a chat with colleagues that's also a possibility - as long as the work gets done in a thorough and timely manner. Why do you ask?

6. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

For me it depends on whereabouts in the term we are - early on I'm keen and do planning etc but as it nears end of term I have less energy, and tend to read articles, up date CPD, catch up on emails. [​IMG]

7. Frowned upon in some establishments if you do it too often as SMT do a swoop through the staff centre.

8. <font size="3">The relevant AJNCT agreement (AJNCT 2 Amended) says:</font><font size="3">"If a teacher is not required to be on the school premises to undertake certain duties * these duties may be undertaken at a time and place of the teacher's own choosing."</font><font size="3">* The purpose of the bold type is to highlight the need for teachers to be available to undertake certain duties during the normal pupil day e.g. Health & Safety related duties, discipline or duties associated with other whole school/ departmental needs."</font><font size="3"></font><font size="3">The important thing is that all that is guaranteed is a maximum of 22.5 hours class contact time. The rest is not necessarily personal time to be decided solely by the individual teacher nor should it necessarily be directed by a line manager. It should be used for any duties identified as being part of the individual's commitment via the school development plan to the working time agreement. So it would be perfectly reasonable for example for a line manager to ask for a professional review to be conducted during this time. In most cases however, the majority of the time is used for such activities as planning, preparation, correction and curriculum development or other priorities within the development plan.</font>

9. Could you cite a web reference for the above amendment? My understanding is that PRD comes from the time allocated from those hours contained within the WTA.
    In fact, here's my understanding of the breakdown of the 35 hour week
    22.5 - Class Contact
    7.5 - Preparation and correction (of which 2.5 is non-contact time)
    5 hrs - Comprised of those activities outlined/noted in the Code of Practice of WTA....
    - <font size="3" face="Times New Roman,Times New Roman">additional time for preparation and correction </font>
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman,Times New Roman">-</font><font size="3" face="Times New Roman,Times New Roman">parents meetings </font>
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman,Times New Roman">-staff meetings </font>
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman,Times New Roman">-preparation of reports, records etc -</font>
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman,Times New Roman">-forward planning </font>
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman,Times New Roman">-formal assessment </font>
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman,Times New Roman">-professional review and development </font>
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman,Times New Roman">-curriculum development </font>
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman,Times New Roman">- additional supervised pupil activity, and </font>
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman,Times New Roman">continuous professional development </font>
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman,Times New Roman">That being said, my non-contact is used for planning, evaluation, resource preparation / individualisation of resources and anything that needs doing.</font>
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"></font>
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"></font><font size="3" face="Times New Roman,Times New Roman">
    </font><font size="3" face="Times New Roman,Times New Roman">
    </font><font size="3" face="Times New Roman,Times New Roman">
    </font>

10. I received this in an email from the EIS when I had a query about non contact time, use of, where and when.
    Sorry I can't be more helpful.

11. I pretty much do all of the above, but increasingly in my school non-contact is taken up with pupils who are sitting my subject but cannot be fit in to the timetable, with lots of guilt put on to teachers to accommodate the request and also pupils who do 'community service' and end up taking up your time with study issues etc instead of doing admin etc for you!!!!
    Think if McCormac gets his way I will be refusing these requests and dealing with my guilt.

12. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

What kind of establishment do you teach in, jags?

13. Maybe they mean community involvement?

14. This is my understanding as well. Which is why my teaching day is six hours (30 hours a week) and I leave with a clear conscience at 4. The seventh hour of each day is allocated according to the WTA, as and when applicable. For example, my duties re spring fair, school shows, parent-teacher interviews, reporting, PRD meetings, forward planning, etc etc, all happen in clumps of time throughout the year but not always within the school day.

15. S6 pupils who do not have a full timetable sign up to depts. They help out with junior school classes, do admin/small odd jobs etc. good experience for some - others just another skive!