1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does no notice actually mean?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by TheoGriff, Jan 16, 2012.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I guess that part of what they would be observing would be how well you had set up procedures for the school to run smoothly in your absence.
    :)
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I think they are trying different ways to 'create' no notice visits as a school where friends of mine teach had a 'no notice' inspection and it was just that: at 8.15 am inspectors walked in! Just like that! [​IMG]
    I suppose it gives a more fair picture and negates the panic weekends where staff put a frill on everything and hope for the best. I distinctly remember preping for my first Ofsted where we had ages to prepare. In reality, all it did was put over 100 adults into panicing, jibbering odiots!!

3. Marshall

Marshall Established commenter

In my previous life (as a bank manager - don't shoot me!) we were subject to 'no notice' inspections. It was what was expected and we just made sure that everything was up to scratch.
    I think no notice inspections are a good idea. Several school I know of in my area ship out problems pupils and inadequate teachers on a school visit when they are informed of an inspection. No notice inspections will stop this practice and make it fairer for all.

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

My head told me to collate data for the last 3 years in case OFSTED visited. I was pretty busy so I took no notice!

5. Marshall

Marshall Established commenter

That's a riduculous request - it should be done anyway.

6. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

We had a no notice monitoring visit. CBFT rang at 8:00am to say the inspector was on his way. He arrived at 8:20am. Quick meeting with me then straight into lesson observations!

7. Pre school have had no notice inspections for years! the doorbell rings, you answer and the person on the door says they are an Ofsted inspector! They scrutinise files, watch teaching and stay for the whole session and interview staff at the end of the session. When you consider that many pre schools are packway, often only have children for 3 hrs per day and they all manage this! I take my hat off to them as they have neither the finances not the training opportunities that schools have and yet they cope very well with many achieving outstanding AND the criteria though different is not so significantly different to that of schools. So YES no notice inspections are a welcome for all!

8. Agreed that no notice will (usually) give a more honest picture of the school. However, this will only work if the focus of the day does not really include the headteacher to any significant degree. Seeing what teaching is going on in a school at no notice makes some sense so that the appraisal is more realistic, but my diary is constantly full and it is simply not appropriate to turn up unannounced and expect me to cancel the meeting with a concerned parent who's taken time off work, miss the important CP Case Conference, cancel the advisor who's come to work with me etc. Nor is it appropriate to pull my deputy out of his class at no notice because I'm out, however well he knows the school priorities, actions etc.

9. R13

R13 New commenter

Having just been through an Inspection as a Head where the two Inspectors both interviewed me for over an hour on data with regard to pupil achievement, what we'd done to ensure it was of a high standard etc etc. Then they asked me to grade each teacher and talk about strengths etc. as what they were doing was validating my judgements. They then went and observed each teacher. If that Inspection had been genuine 'no notice' rather than the 2 days notice we had then I wouldn't have been in the school until the afternoon.
    How would that have been more helpful for our school? . .

10. mickeyforpresident

mickeyforpresident New commenter

I'm not sure what you mean, Theo? School would run perfectly smoothly; it's just that I would want to be there (for many reasons, most importantly supporting the staff).