1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does 'Most Popular' mean?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I have just looked at the Hit Parade chart of 'Most Popular Threads' on here and see that in number one place is a thread that has been locked but had 47 posts. In second place is one with 28 posts, in third is one with 233 posts, in 4th one with 31 posts and at the bottom is one with 15 posts. What does 'most popular' mean in this context then? Anyone got any ideas?

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Maybe it means how many times it's been viewed..?
    I don't know, really.

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Maybe it's comments within a certain period of time, and the longest one had the bulk of its comments in the previous timeframe.

4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

They were all posted on Tuesday, it says.

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

No idea then

6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Ah, you are right. I have just checked. It is the number of views. I wonder what it is that makes a thread attract views. Maybe the robots seek out a particular type of thread. It can hardly be TES posters who account for the views since there are rarely more than 60 looking at the site at any one time.

7. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Now that IS a silly way of organising such things
    If these were truly popular threads they would have got nearly as many messages as views.
    I read lots of "threads" but post on less than half of them

aspensquiver likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Probably some formula put together by a data-wonk like 'views'*'likes'/responses or something.

9. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

How does it work, do you think, Did? Where are all the views coming from?

10. Didactylos4

I've no idea
    Could be that Lanokia is partially right and the result of being listed on the "Popular Threads" led to more people looking at the threads to see why they were listed
    After a few views it all becomes self-generating

11. Didactylos4

We can test it if you like
    Create a thread. Ask people not to reply but to view it as often as possible and see what happens

12. Didactylos4

I appear to have a devious and highly cynical mind :oops: