1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does manipulation of strucures mean?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by portena, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I am trying to plan a lesson and the title is as follows - Deliver a 7 minute lesson, in Spanish, on "the time" focussing on the manipulation of structures. (You could explore this through daily routines in a target language country).
    I was just wondering exactly what manipulation of structures means? Is it referring to grammar or verb structures? I am unsure what I should try and cover as I have never given a lesson before!
    Any clarification would be much appreciated.
    Thank you

2. I suppose different tenses working around around a las dos, a las tres etc.
    It's not very clear but that seems the most likely to me.

SJ

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Actually I would have said manipulating structures was more liketeaching 'a la una /las dos etc. & then using it in in different contexts e g
    El tienda abre a la una.
    Voy al cine a las ocho
    but others might disagree and even now reading that back I'm not so certain myself.

4. I wouldn't be teaching them el tienda!
    Seriously, you have to find out what is expected of you. What year group is it? It doesn't take a whole lesson to teach "a las" + number. If you pitch this wrong and haven't got a plan B up your sleeve it could be awful. Manipulation of structures to me sounds like using verb endings.

5. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

It means teaching them a sentence and then teaching them how you change the sentence to fit what they want to say. So, yes, it means grammar, but only the grammar of the language that you have just taught them. Try not to worry too much, if it's a 7 minute lesson, then they just want to see how you interact with the kids and what sort of approach to teaching you have.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Apologies,<u>la </u>tiend<u>a </u>haven't taught Spanish in a while and it's not my main language!

7. Thanks so much. Its meant to be aimed at key stage level 3 so I m planning on quickly going over the numbers and teaching them why its 'la' una and 'las' dos etc and then giving them a little exercise where they have to ask each other at what time they eat lunch etc comparing the daily routines of the UK and Spain so they can practice using times in sentences.

8. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

I'm not a Spanish speaker, but it sounds good to me.