1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does it mean to be an associate lecturer?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by Georgia99, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Sorry if I sound slow!
    My interpretation of an associate lecturer is that the hours are 'as and when required' and you have no real employment rights in terms of being kept on etc.
    Is this an accurate interpretation? How is being an associate lecturer different to being a 'bank lecturer' for example?
    I have seen an advert for a job as one but the description does not explain what being an associate lecturer means.
    Thank you muchly.

2. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Sorry if I sound slow!
    My interpretation of an associate lecturer is that the hours are 'as and when required' and you have no real employment rights in terms of being kept on etc.
    Is this an accurate interpretation? How is being an associate lecturer different to being a 'bank lecturer' for example?
    I have seen an advert for a job as one but the description does not explain what being an associate lecturer means.
    Thank you muchly.

3. My understanding (but please feel free to correct me anyone) is that an associate lecturer is in the process of training to be a teacher, i.e. is doing DTTLS but being paid to teach at the same time.

4. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I have a PGCE 14-19 so does that mean I wouldn't be eligible? They state a hourly rate rather than a salary which led me to believe it would be 'as and when'.
    Thanks for the information, salaried positions seem very rare!