1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does HQ mean in this email?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cys2017, Aug 28, 2018.

1. cys2017

cys2017 Occasional commenter

Hi

I was wondering what HQ meant in the email I’ve attached.

Thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

HQ, usually means Headquarters.

3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Don't like the sound of any where that want to invite you to its 'HQ' to discuss a teaching job.

Is it one of the massive MATs, recruiting for its clone army?

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  4. cys2017

Okay what does that mean?like in a young peoplecontext

5. annie2020

annie2020 New commenter

It just means their head office. I agree with a previous poster that it sounds like MAT with an office building that could be separate from all their schools.

Pomza, Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  6. PGCE_tutor

PGCE_tutor New commenter

It sounds more like a scam to me.

7. cys2017

What do you mean by clone army phrase... what does MATs stand for

8. cys2017

How? What do you mean ..?

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

A MAT is a Multi Academy Trust. Schools run not by the LA but by a private-owned corporate Trust. Many schools were forced into Academy status after failing Ofsted.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. cys2017

Okay I’ve just realised they have an office in a college..but I don’t think the organisation is part of the college.. like they just have an office there I think.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Hi cys2017,

HQ in relation to young people context most probably means higher quartile (upper quartile i.e. more able students).

Regards,

B

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  12. PGCE_tutor

PGCE_tutor New commenter

Hi Cys
    Didn't mean to worry you - I didn't mean that I thought it WAS a scam, just that the language was unusual and more akin to trust building ahead of persuasion than an interview invitation. I'd give examples but the attachment seems to have disappeared.
    Cheers

agathamorse, cys2017 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. cys2017

Hi I have sent you the email as a private message

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. PGCE_tutor

PGCE_tutor New commenter

"..an informal chat may present us with the best forum.." chat? forum?
    "..get to know each other.." is that what the meeting is about? Who are you getting to know if you're going to HQ?
    "... a few dates in the coming weeks.." the ultimate in flexibility.
    "..welcome you to our HQ.." why?

To me (and I accept it might just be me) the language has a ring of - "I've inherited a sum of money but need your help...." about it. All very informal and unusual, and perhaps that's how they're deliberately intending to present themselves, but to me it doesn't come across as professional.

I'd still go though - just to see what it was like.

Do let us know how you get on.

PS HQ can also stand for High Quality

agathamorse, Lara mfl 05 and cys2017 like this.
  15. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

The attachment with the email has disappeared (it disclosed the identity of the sender maybe? so TES admin removed it?) but from the bits you quote it's nothing sinister, it just means they don't have a specific job vacancy they are recruiting for right now. It's a common thing to do outside teaching. Someone applies for a job that's already been filled, or makes a speculative approach. The person sounds like someone you might like to employ when you have an actual vacancy so you do an informal interview/meeting. If after that you (the employer) decide you'd like to recruit them in future you'll approach them direct as soon as a vacancy arises.

16. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Edit got timed out before I could add that this is how I read it. I don't know what the writer of it actually intended of course!

cys2017 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. cys2017

Thanks for your response. Yes probably. Baisically they posted a list of vacancies on one of their social media platforms and asked anyone who was interested to get back to them so I got back to them with a list of the ones I was interested in and a cv as they requested. The email that followed baisically then asked for me to meet them at their HQ.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. cys2017

I’ll let you all know how it goes

Lara mfl 05 and PGCE_tutor like this.