1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what does GCSE Computing mean for A-level?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Mr_G_ICT, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

I've been thinking about this for a few weeks. we are just about to have our first GCSE computing students finish, and the question is now the implications for A-level.

I know that the information covered in A-Level is in more depth, but (at the moment at least) is it significantly more to add the challenge to GCSE computing students? I'm thinking that one of my better GCSE students could master A-level in weeks rather than months.(and that would be more about tackling the extra difficulty in answering A-Level questions)

With GCSE ICT there is a significant jump to A-level, but with computing, there isn't, simply because GCSE computing didn't exist. Does this mean that the A-level will change sometime? and what will it change to?

2. The A Level Computing by ocr really is an ecellent course. I've taught it for years. It will follow on nicely from the gcse and not having any coursework in year 1 will give you plenty of time to develop skills in a programming language or two. It is the one course i will miss teaching when i retire.