1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

what does, 'fixed term 1 year in the first instance/initially' actually mean?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by katieemma2, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Hi Sage,
    In job adverts many of them I have looked at state what does, 'fixed term 1 year in the first instance/initially'. Does this mean that if you are good at your job etc you are likely to secure a permanent contract after that initial year and they want to test the water with you. Or towards the fact that its just a year they need covering ?
    Thanks

2. Hi Sage,
    In job adverts many of them I have looked at state what does, 'fixed term 1 year in the first instance/initially'. Does this mean that if you are good at your job etc you are likely to secure a permanent contract after that initial year and they want to test the water with you. Or towards the fact that its just a year they need covering ?
    Thanks

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

It could be either.

4. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

It could depend on budget/numbers for the following year. If they don't have the budget or children the next year then they may not be able to give you a position.

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

The requirements surrounding unfair dismissal are changing from tomorrow.
    Well, they have to give reasons for the dismissal, which is not quite the same...
    It is important to note that this does not make it unlawful.

6. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

I imagine in the current climate, more and more schools would want to make all NQT appointments fixed term. Doesn't, though, exactly foster stable communities.

7. Some realities here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B007HRACLQ/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1334037466&sr=8-1