1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does everyone think of the new loyalty/ seller levels?

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by LanguageArtsLab, May 12, 2016.

1. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

It would appear that most people can in fact expect a reduction on their royalty rate!

"The royalty rate will be calculated after tax. For sales to US buyers nothing is changing: you’ll still receive 100%. For sales to buyers outside the US and EU you’ll receive up to 20% higher royalty. For sales to buyers in the EU your royalties will depend on country VAT rates. For sales to UK buyers, authors in the Bronze level will receive 1.6% less while sellers in Silver and Gold will receive 2% to 6% higher royalties."

Not such an incentive afterall.

2. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Maybe we should have something that shows the copyright status :

Example

All author's own original work and copyright:

copya.gif

Partly author's own work, partly someone else's copyright:
    copyb.gif
    Not author's original work or copyright:
    copyminus.gif
    They would, of course, be coloured Green, amber and Red in good old teacher fashion.

(@tespartnerteam , if you like the idea you have my permission to use the images :))

redlamp2 likes this.
  3. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

That would apply to Premium Resources only.

4. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

I'm thinking there's an issue of educating people about copyright before they could select an appropriate badge! I am surprised that TES can get away with it, particularly with commercial resources.

mathsmutt likes this.
  5. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I enquired from one such provider how permission had been obtained. Answer came there none (!) It's bad enough to reproduce material in free resources (i.e. illegal) but to charge for copying when there is no statement that permission has been given...

mathsmutt likes this.
  6. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

On second thoughts, I change my mind and suggest that it applies to all content.

7. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Anyone who wishes to use the logos can do so.

8. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

I know that many people here create their own copyrighted materials,since that is what their business depends on.
    Who else is CA+ ?

9. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

Hi everyone, there's a post here detailing the changes to royalty levels and some info around VAT which you might find useful. Let us know if you have questions by emailing authors@tes.com or posting in here! Thanks :)

10. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

11. wilkieway

wilkieway New commenter

I am also CA+ copyright is an issue that teachers often think doesn't refer to them. You only have to look at the photocopying and in today's world it is so easy for a teacher to download a resource and email it to a friend. Who will know?

mathsmutt likes this.
  12. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

I received an email this morning telling me I've posted over 1,000 resources..... I think they Re mistaken.....

13. mrajlong

mrajlong Senior commenter

Hi Charleei. Mine said 189 and that I'm a Goldie. I've only got 60 odd in reality!! Also, not sure if bundles count as an extra resource towards the magic 100. Put two together and my 'sales until gold' number did not go down even though my premium resources total went up. Might be a glitch. If not, might as well make the bundle using zipped files so that they count towards my overall total!

Charleei likes this.
  14. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

Hi @Charleei
    Can you send us the email you received to authors@tes.com please? There might be a glitch in the data so we'll look into that for you. Thanks!

Hi @mrajlong can you do the same? We can check this out for you. Bundles do not count as additional resources for the levels, but they do count as products that you are selling so your resource count increasing is as it should be. To move up a level, authors need to do new uploads of individual resources :) Great to see your new bundles - feedback on the tool is absolutely welcome!

15. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

This is what I got :-
    Congratulations – our new royalty levels are now live, and, as you’ve published 468 resources*, you’ve automatically become a Gold author

Nah, only 52 that count!
    (Have forwarded as above, @tesAuthorTeam )
    Yehaa - am now on holidaayy, so sharing the feeling:D:D:):)