1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does everyone think of the new loyalty/ seller levels?

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by LanguageArtsLab, May 12, 2016.

1. LanguageArtsLab

LanguageArtsLab New commenter

Personally, I think it is just the incentive I need to start making new products. I'm one product away from being a silver member. (I'm such a sucker for things like that :))

Also, the email mentioned that TES is now selling worldwide(?) I have noticed a spike in sales recently.

How does everyone else feel?

2. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Me too, I love a goal to work towards...!

3. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

I'm pleased to see there are to be improvements in how resources can be searched and an increase in royalty levels is of course welcome.

I'm concerned the emphasis on quantity over quality will add to what is already a problem on TES. Possibly the improved search will negate this but it doesn't seem like an incentive to aim for quality or value.

I'm well below the next 'level' albeit with quite a lot of resources that I've yet to add to TES. However earlier in the year I would have been well above it. I chose to bundle lots of resources together as I felt it gave better value and was more convenient for people - but doing so essentially reduced the number of resources by more than half.

I'm going to stick with this because I'd rather people felt they'd got more than they expected for their money. But pragmatically it would be understandable if other sellers choose to spread their offering thinly to gain the advantages of silver/gold etc.

Alice K and mathsmutt like this.
  4. LanguageArtsLab

LanguageArtsLab New commenter

Interesting comment, Thinky. Did you see that there is going to be a new bundle option? I clicked it, but it isn't ready yet. On the other site, I sell my resources in bundles and as separate products. I wonder if they will count as separate goods when the bundling option goes ahead on TES?

As for the issue of quantity over quality - yes, I would agree that it seems to be a problem on TES. Nevertheless, I still manage to find buyers. I don't really enjoy the experience as a consumer, though.

hasslethehog, mathsmutt and Charleei like this.
  5. thinkypublishing

My wife says the same, she never looks on TES because of how long it takes to find anything and then how long on top of that to filter out the dross.

Presumably they're wanting to market it as having XX million resources etc. but if that means having to spend hours sorting through millions of rubbish I can't see how that's good for anyone.

I'm looking forward to the bundling - hopefully that will save a bit of time.

6. kibishipaul

kibishipaul New commenter

I've bundled some of my resources as well as kept them as separate products. Haven't had much success with the bundles even when I sell at a significant discount. In fact on the other site, I've frequently seen customers buy 3 or 4 separate products even when there is a bundle which would save them, well, a packet! Can't figure out why this should be.

7. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

What improvements are scheduled for searching resources?

8. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Does this mean that separate resources are no longer required for the US market ?

9. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Oops,meant should existing duplicate resources for the US market be left as they are - or should they be deleted ?

10. thinkypublishing

I've deleted my US resources because it looked a mess. Somebody suggested putting both the UK files and US files into one resource which would be a good idea except that with lots of my resources there are so many different files it would create confusion. If there was a way of organising files into folders (or uploading zip files) then I'd upload them again but for now I'm just leaving the UK ones up.

mathsmutt likes this.
  11. thinkypublishing

I don't know the details except that it was mentioned in the Facebook group that the search has been improved for the new global sales.

12. John1917

John1917 New commenter

I wonder why the thresholds are based on number of resources and not number of downloads, as others have pointed out this could lead to quantity before quality.

I am somewhat disappointed that new authors joining after July and opting for free download only. Will not be eligible for a TES 'shop'. This will make dissemination of resources to personal networks more difficult -the shop URL is quite convenient.

13. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

I welcome the opportunity to have a higher royalty level as I feel that 60% is a little on the low side. Regarding quality, I too, am concerned about this.

Also about how resources are promoted (or not). I clicked on the whole school resource front page. which should be a great place to highlight quality, current and topical resources or new resources. On there, there are three old Christmas resources. There is also one resource that has been featured on this page for weeks and weeks and weeks. The resource contains a blatant spelling error.

It would appear that some of the older, once free resources, are being kept on this front page for a long time and seem to have 'preferential treatment' ie they are on the front page for ages and in the 'top spots' as it were. Maybe it's something to do with the number of 'views' / downloads over the years they have had which keeps them in these places. However, I do feel that some of them could do with a revamp for 'selling' purposes to make them more attractive and for 'quality' purposes .

These front pages should be featured with high quality and attractive resources for potential purchasers and visitors. First impressions count.

Perhaps the TES team might address this issue of 'quality' and maybe review more of the resources and advise authors if their resources are of inferior 'quality' or contain obvious errors.

hasslethehog likes this.
  14. thinkypublishing

Obviously it's tricky to measure quality in relation to royalty levels - maybe the view to purchase ratio would give some indication but I guess the only way to really sort it is to focus more on encouraging people to post reviews perhaps with a rewards system/discount for reviewers as done on other sites.

I agree about the questionable promotion. I assume this is due to a basic method of determining which resources should be most prominent ie. 'most views' which will always favour whatever has been on the longest rather than what is perhaps of most interest. Quite an important thing to fix though!

15. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

It's an interesting idea. But not sure it is executed in the best way. Also I find it strange that they give you your 60% royalties when you sell something then send the rest over at the end of the month very odd.

16. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Good idea - time to be a copy dog!
    copydog.gif

Well, I'm mathsmutt - I can't be a copy cat!

cate_h likes this.
  17. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

Hi Mattsmutt, this is up to you. Resources which you made specifically for US or UK, you should keep as these will be more relevant in local searches. Otherwise, if your resources are the same files / content which have been duplicated, you may decide to delete these and have a single product available globally.

Absolutely Krazikas, glad to hear you say this as we are very soon re-launching our homepages for UK and US enabling us to feature the best resources, featured authors and other great content! More on this soon :) We are very much aware that the feeds on existing hubs etc aren't working well right now and we look forward to bringing new, fresh pages to help audience and authors alike!

Thanks John1917 -
    Our authors have been asking for a royalty system that rewards our most active authors and raises royalties on international sales. It was critically important to us that this system was easy to understand. By measuring how many resources you've published, it's easy to know how far you have until the next level and getting there is within your control. You aren't at risk of dropping down a level during a slow month (December!) or having to wait weeks to find out if you've made the next level. Ultimately, poor quality resources won't sell, so higher royalty won't be earned on them anyway!

Krazikas and mathsmutt like this.
  18. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

Hey Charleei. We are very much welcoming feedback so do get in touch at authors@tes.com if you have suggestions - thanks! There is some testing going on right now of the royalty levels etc to make sure everything is working in time for launch. We are really excited to be bringing this to the author community :)

mathsmutt likes this.
  19. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

I like the new licence :

Summary of Teaching Resource Licence

Please note: Our Teaching Resource Licence is not a Creative Commons licence – please see further below. For the full licence text click here.
    You can:

[​IMG]
    Teach With — copy, edit and provide the licensed material to those students you teach in any medium or format for the purpose of educating them and/or their private study.

But, No Sharing – you have been issued a single licence for your own use and the right to grant a limited licence to your students to use the licensed material as part of your teaching and their own private study.

As long as you comply with the licence terms, the licensor cannot revoke these freedoms other than in certain limited circumstances (such as if the licensed material is found to be in breach of our website terms and conditions).

20. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

It would have more credibility if every other resource wasn't in breach of copyright.