1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does CPD look like in your school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by taj, Mar 11, 2012.

1. taj

taj

Ok I know budgets are tight, but nobody in our school (apart from SLT that is) ever goes out on any training courses, and hasn't done for about 3 years.. Any training we have is delivered in house by one or other of the AHTs, and to be honest it's not exactly inspiring, and largely consists of circulating paperwork. On INSET days very often teachers are given planning time and TAs end up sticking labels on books!
    Is this the same in other schools?

2. taj

taj

Ok I know budgets are tight, but nobody in our school (apart from SLT that is) ever goes out on any training courses, and hasn't done for about 3 years.. Any training we have is delivered in house by one or other of the AHTs, and to be honest it's not exactly inspiring, and largely consists of circulating paperwork. On INSET days very often teachers are given planning time and TAs end up sticking labels on books!
    Is this the same in other schools?

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

100% Yep. "You're lucky to have a job at all........"

4. taj

taj

Anybody else?

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Nope, my school is pretty good for courses and our insets tend to be those cringy but directed type of training sessions where you all have to keep moving around and talking to other people, participate in an activity etc. I would rather have planning time tbh!

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

No all staff get the chance to go to external training. Inset usually national speakers on subjects agreed by staff as a need. Today 5 members of staff on a maths course.

7. How very short sighted of your SLT. CPD has the biggest impact on staff morale and raising standards.

8. taj

taj

Thanks for all your replies. And yes Pat I know CPD is at the heart of school improvement as I am also a governor in another authority.Unfortunately our SLT are very blinkered and naive, and quite frankly don't do the children or the staff any favours at all.

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

What kind of CPD do people want?

10. Teaching staff and TAs are regularly on courses at my school. My school are also paying for my MA. INSET days are usually training days too - mostly by external trainers.