1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does 'competitive salary' mean for a British school in Beijing?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by nazreal, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Hello,

Sorry if this comes out twice - I pressed post and then something happened!

Anyway, I'm applying for a secondary teaching position in a British school in Beijing and just wanted to know what I should be expecting under 'competitive salary' and whether I would be expected to negotiate in the interview. This would be my first time applying for a job overseas and I want to make sure I'm not being duped as it were but also I'm not sure what to expect...if I were to apply in the UK I know I'd be teaching a demonstration lesson for example but this is for a British school that just opening in August so....are there any kids to teach? I guess I won't know until/if I get called for an interview.

My teaching experience, if it's relevant is: teaching for 3 years, one year as acting head of Year 9 with a teaching degree and masters at a Cams unii.

Anyway, any thoughts and opinions would be truly grateful as I'm already in Beijing but I don't know any teachers teaching in the international field and local schools/educational centres are markedly different here.

Thanks!

2. Hello,

Sorry if this comes out twice - I pressed post and then something happened!

Anyway, I'm applying for a secondary teaching position in a British school in Beijing and just wanted to know what I should be expecting under 'competitive salary' and whether I would be expected to negotiate in the interview. This would be my first time applying for a job overseas and I want to make sure I'm not being duped as it were but also I'm not sure what to expect...if I were to apply in the UK I know I'd be teaching a demonstration lesson for example but this is for a British school that just opening in August so....are there any kids to teach? I guess I won't know until/if I get called for an interview.

My teaching experience, if it's relevant is: teaching for 3 years, one year as acting head of Year 9 with a teaching degree and masters at a Cams unii.

Anyway, any thoughts and opinions would be truly grateful as I'm already in Beijing but I don't know any teachers teaching in the international field and local schools/educational centres are markedly different here.

Thanks!

3. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

'Competitive salary' means nothing. Find out exactly how much. As you are already in Beijing you will be able to research the cost of living. The bottom line for most of us is 'Can I live comfortably on this and see something of the country' and 'How much can I save?'
    Ask all the questions about the school at/ before interview. Write down the answers.
    Good luck!

4. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Hi. I'm currently teaching in Beijing. You should be getting at least 20,000 rmb per month plus housing, flights etc. The top 8 or so schools will pay at least this much. You could actually do ok on somewhat less then this but shouldn't have to.
    As you are already in Beijing, they may be looking to save themselves the housing and airfare. Legitimate schools will have an established wage scale and will not negotiate much, if at all. In your case, the housing/airfare is a reasonable point to try and negotiate. Feel free to PM me about the school and I'll give you my two cents worth.

5. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

I've accepted a job to start in Aug. Almost RMB 18k a month, plus housing, airfair allowance, domestic bills allowance (RMB36,000 p/y). Also healthcare for me and any dependents and two school places if I had kids (worth about £20k p/y each). I'm pretty happy with my lot. It will be my third year teaching and in the UK I don't get that basic salary, even when I tutor for 6 hours a week on top of work!

6. Hiya guys,

Thanks so much for your advice and thoughts - definitely have a better idea of what I should/could be expecting - hope I get the job because it seems quite perfect!

7. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

8. Hi, Just wondering if a 'competitive package' in Beijing would usually include flights for a spouse who will not be working at the school? Thanks

9. Perey

Perey New commenter

Hello other Beijingers :)

With housing included and travel costs as low as they are. I find I've saved without trying this year, mostly because my two biggests costs from the UK just simply don't exist. Your money goes a lot further I've found, and while you can spend a lot if you eat at Western places or buy imported foods you can also live really really cheaply if you so wish too!

10. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

'Competitive salaries' is a very vague term, and mischievous Heads can use it regardless of the package on offer.
    As with any part of the world, coverage of family costs depends on:
    1: the school
    2: your status in the school
    3: how difficult it is to get staff in that region
    Senior staff usually get family benefits, with the exception of the lowliest schools. Teaching staff will find this varies. Every school runs on a budget. If the school has to fund extra flights that will eat into the budget. Annual extra costs of £1000 for a teacher's family means £1000 that can't be spent on other items - or in the case of proprietary schools the bank accounts of owners.
    There are some schools that charge outrageous fees and can cover extra costs without much effort: an almost exclusively white & 'wonderful' school in Asia is so expensive (keeps the riff raff out) they have millions in the bank and the odd extra for flight is irrelevant. I wouldn't send my own children to such schools (wrong colour for one thing and I know the local version breeds racism) but they survive as bastions of colonialism.
    Best to simply ask; many schools will only disclose the package to shortlisted candidates.