1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does capability mean for my career?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by tarkas_pride, Feb 14, 2016.

1. tarkas_pride

tarkas_pride New commenter

I've just been told I'm to go into capability. I was given RI for an observation. After which a support plan was out in place we reviewed it after 4 weeks, yet not much of the support had been carried out so it was agreed to extend it. I've since had another RI observations although my head has acknowledged that I have made progress. I really have no idea what to do next I go in early and leave late the children and their welfare is all I think about. Ive got 2 degrees to teach and if this ends my career I just don't know what I'd do! Has anyone had a positive experience of this procedure and come out the other side???

2. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Until Ofsted decided to change Satisfactory to Requires Improvement this nonsense didn't happen.

The pressure being put on teachers in just immense. I feel desperately sorry for you in this mad situation.

3. 9497

9497 New commenter

I am in a similar situation, and although earlier on in the process I do not think that there is any intention that I will succeed. I am leaving. Remember you are still you. You still have the experience, hopefully a supportive partner, and you will find another source of money. It may be less but overall you will be happier and you will find another job that does that require you to knit fog whilst working 24-7 and jumping through ever decreasing hoop sizes.

Am_done likes this.
  4. Compassman

The system will implode. It's just a question of when.

5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Contact your union, at the very least the Rep should be able to find out precisely where you are in the process and give guidance over options.

There should be a capability policy available to staff, ask to see that.

Finally, DON'T DESPAIR, at least not yet. It is quite possible that the support is actually supportive and will be the little boost you need to keep on jumping through the hoops.

6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Sorry, forgot to answer the question.

At the moment there is no effect on your career. It's the 'what-ifs' further down the line that can affect references etc.

7. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Go and work for a school that does not grade lessons. I visit a lot of schools and it is a relic from the days when Ofsted graded lessons. Schools are switching to non-grading of lessons and looking at all evidence of a teacher - more 360. A single trick lesson is a poor indicator of teacher quality. A school that uses such a system - well, that is a good indicator of a poor quality school.

8. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Two degrees means little in the eyes of the automatons whose remit in school is to home in on people who have been selected for attention. The situation scarily echoes a brave new world.

I'd say that you should try not to take it personally but because you are a human being with emotions and self-esteem, that won't make sense.

Nothing about the whole sorry situation makes sense. It's the worst thing to happen in education - and that is saying something.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  9. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Knit fog. What an apt parallel.

10. Am_done

Am_done New commenter

I left my school at Christmas. They wanted to put me on a "support" programme after an observation.......it used percentages to grade. Cruel and more shattering than a word somehow. Previously I'd always been good.....and UPS3

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You need to contact your union urgently and get them to negotiate with your head.
    Once formal capability starts, it has to be mentioned on a reference.
    If your union can negotiate you leaving before the formal process starts, you can apply for other posts and no mention on a reference.
    It is essential that you have union support before the formal capability.

cazzmusic1 and Am_done like this.
  12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am very sorry that you are in such a difficult situation. And that you are having to give so much of your life to school and school things, thinking constantly about the children and their welfare.

All to no avail.

You need to talk to your regional union officers. But there's quite a good chance that they are on holiday as it's half term . . . try anyway to get in touch with them.

If you wish to stay in teaching and try another school, start looking now. As @MrMedia says, not all schools do this.

Get the TES Jobs App

How to set up a Job Alert

Get ready for the application season! * * * Must Read * * *

Thinking about trying for another job might help to take your mind off this one!

Best wishes

Am_done likes this.
  13. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

My honest opinion is that any form of capability makes your time at the school akin to a busted flush. Effectively, fire and brimstone are creeping up behind you and the Exit signs have been illuminated on your behalf! As others have said, finally in some schools I think some Heads have actually realised that Ofsted gradings of lessons (and subsequent capability) are effectively draining the schools of any good teachers left and are now using more holistic ways of assessing teacher performance. Find one of those!

Mrsmumbles, ricjamclick and Am_done like this.
  14. Compassman

Sadly although some schools have moved away from grading observations they have moved onto to other methods of grinding their teachers down. For example, ridiculous marking policies, excessive data analysis even having a go at staff who don't do after school intervention cause staff to be made 'incapable'..........

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  15. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Have to contest that...you can be slapped onto formal capability very sneakily now...that WILL be listed on your reference, and disclosed. Which is why lots of us jump before we are pushed. Combine having to disclose formal capability with being an older upper pay spine pricked teacher, you have the recipient for long term unemployment in permanent contracts. So, yes, forewarned is forearmed.

cazzmusic1 likes this.
  16. drek

drek Star commenter

I'm so sorry.... But your colleagues on the way up sometimes have no choice but to mark you down for reasons that that have nothing to do with your teaching performance.
    go through jolly Rogers ridiculous observation thread, to get an idea of the huge range of nonsensical judgements that hardworking frontline staff are subjected to,
    Before malicious Gove we could question and discuss our own performance like adults, now I see experienced staff can have their dignity and livelihoods stripped off them by any **** in the system.
    I would resign immediately because the odds are very very one sided at the moment.
    And with Gove as Justice secretary combined with his hatred of teachers I don't think contested capability cases have a chance of reaching the courts or if they do, he will influence the judgement.
    If you love to teach, know you're good at it, and want to be able to do so with your sanity, your positivity and your confidence intact. Resign now,

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2016
    Mrsmumbles likes this.
  17. install

install Star commenter

1 Talk to your Union
    2 What are the dept results for your subject as a whole? Gradings are now based on data not the lesson
    3 How do the students that you teach perform in other subjects?
    4 Is it the same class being observed each time? Why?
    5 Do SEN students have the support that they should have?
    6 Do EAL students have the support they should have?
    7 Do you teach students that are causing issues around the whole school for several teachers?
    8 Observe some of the students that you teach in lessons of other subjects
    9 Look outside of your lesson and see what others see ?

18. mseerie

mseerie New commenter

Unfortunately, there is no point in fighting this. Even if you survive capability, they will grind you down in some other way. Resign and start looking for another job now. If they don't want you, they don't deserve you. Someone else will.

19. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Can you explain how this "works", given what we know about the data and what it "means"?

mseerie likes this.
  20. mseerie

mseerie New commenter

It doesn't really "work", obviously.

Obvious outcomes for this type of "assessment":
    1. Teachers become extremely lenient in their assessments to avoid getting into trouble.
    2. Nitpicking is used to downgrade unwanted members of staff anyway.
    3. Data becomes a tool to manage expensive teachers rather than a tool to help students improve.

It has been happening in my current school for a while and it is unfortunate that the unions are not in the least interested in the long-term implications for students and teachers.