1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does a typical Nursery session look like?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by notime, Jun 18, 2015.

1. I am looking to moving to work in a school Nursery (26 places), I currently teach in a 13 place Nursery. Really, although I am comfortable with teaching in the 13 places I am pondering on how I would organise a larger number of children (there would be two staff, including me) with free-flow to outside. With 13 children I can get through around 4 /5 adult led activities with each child per week, however I can't see how I would manage similar with 26. Managing things such as snack time might take come thought too.

Any ideas / experiences welcome.

Thanks

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I don't think you need as many as 4 or 5 adult led activities per week for a nursery aged child. If you only have two adults in the room then having the outside area open at all times might be difficult, especially depending where the toilets are (will it be possible to help a child in the toilets and still keep an eye on the classroom?). Snack time shouldn't be too much of a problem; you could either do a rolling snack, or you could have everyone on the carpet and perhaps read a story while they eat.

3. svxenos

svxenos New commenter

I worked in lots of nurseries as a supply teacher. Generally, key worker groups had snack - first one group, then the next.

Do you have 13 children, morning, 13 children afternoon, or is it 26 in every session? If you do have 26, then the nurseries I worked in with more children had three input groups, each led by a key worker, at the same time. One did maths,one phonics and one PSED (or whatever...) and they were rotated around as the week progressed.

Good luck! It's intimidating, getting used to such a massive change in numbers, but once you actually start you'll be too busy to notice and it will just seem normal!