1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does a 'long' observation look like in your Reception class?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by notime, Nov 13, 2011.

1. I am new to reception and have been struggling with fitting in the 'long observations' which are recommended for the children. I managed to get plenty of snap shot stick note observations and photo's but find fitting in the longer ones harder. I was aiming for 2 per term for each child. But wondered how long you spend on each obs and is it on child initiated or a adult led activity? Does anyone know of any examples of completed observations, I was looking in EYFS document but can't seem to find any!
    Thanks

2. We have always said a five or six minute observation writing down everything they say and do is a good long observation but you need to find a time when they are fully involved in an activity, preferably child initiated. From that you should be able to pull out information around at least four of the six areas. However you will probably find that lots of people do it differently. Obviously if you have concerns about the child then you may do more/longer obs.

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

We do max 10 mins as a tracker, as above, noting what they do and say. Then it's x-ref to all the specific ELGs. We do 1 per term per child. Extras for EAL and SEN children and anyone else that we have little concerns about in specific areas.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

If you
    'ob' two children in conversation, you can use it for both of them. Doesn't always work but what a blinder when it does!

5. mine look like...a blank piece of paper....only ever 'waste' my time with these if I am concerned about a child...and don't all shout at me cos I don't care!!!

6. Seriously - how do you go on when Ofsted arrive or for moderation?

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Is this what came home with my minded child last week, do you suppose. It said observation at the top and was essentially a list of what X had done, over what period of time I don't know. I couldn't see the point of it. He played nicely, he dressed up, he made some marks. Why would this be sent home? Do you have to do such observations on FS1 children all the time? it must be very time consuming in a class of 26 children.

8. I don't find them useful at all. I hate just sitting writing on a clipboard and can't help but chip in if I see any misconceptions or if I think I can extend their vocabulary/learning. Then I go off track and stop writing! Give me 10 lashings for being a teacher! [​IMG]