1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

    If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

    Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

    Dismiss Notice

What does a 'host' school have to do?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by mrspebble, Sep 9, 2011.

  1. Hi

    Im currently on maternity leave after having my second baby. Im due back in a couple of weeks but have resigned so will be leaving at Xmas.

    Im going to do supply on days that my mum can have my daughters.

    Im in the Bristol area and have been told that I have to have a 'host' school.

    They need to do a starter form for me and my CRB as im moving countys.

    Just wondered if anyone else has done this and how difficult it is to get a school to take you on?

    Any advice etc would be good. My dad is deputy head at a primary school but I want to find out what they would need to do before I ask them

  2. Pennyforyourthoughts

    Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

    I am able to work direct in 3 LEAs and already have an Agency CRB which means I can work in any school in any LEA at a phonecalls notice. From what I understand a Host schools is a school that is willing to take you on as a possible supply teacher for which they do a CRB (who pays? its usually us) for you which will then be transferable for other schools in that LEA. I approached some of the schools and they said that they could not do it as it would be seen to be employing me and would have to be put on their official employment register, and they may not be able to guarantee to offer any supply work as they had contracted to go through an Agency. Agency supply is easier for them as they do not have to do any pay role, or do endless CRBs for what they consider only potential supply teachers. Maddening. I would have had to do this for 3 LEAs. I managed it for one for which I paid the CRB but confusion with Agency then resulted in me not working direct for them.

    Not easy unless the school you have been working for will do an up to date CRB however, you will need this for every LEA that you may work for./
  3. I'm afraid in reality you may have just made yourself unemployed. I wish you all the best with your search for supply but unless you can be ultra flexible these days agencies wont (and don't need to) touch you with a barge pole. There are plenty of supply teachers out there so they can afford to pick and choose. LEA supply doesn't really exist anymore although in some areas it does still hang on. Good luck though.

Share This Page