1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

What does a good second in department look like?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by glitzstar, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Hi all
    I'm at the point now where I'd like to start applying for these posts. They all have their own person specifications, of course, but how can I help myself? What can I do to prepare for the role? What would you expect to see in terms of experiences and achievements in a potential candidate?
    Thanks in anticipation.

2. First and foremost a Good/Outstanding classroom teacher. Also realiable, punctual, meets deadlines, flexible, organised, personable, sets high standards and has examples of when they've led something in a faculty.

3. Excellent, thanks for your reply. That's a great help.

4. Think about doing some reading on Middle Leadership : I like the Heads of Dept pocket book and there are lots of others, many that are meaty and well written. If you are thinking of becoming a middle leader you should also be able to request some Inset on this, talk to and ask other middle leaders too. Thikning about the role and talking about how they handle it will help too.[​IMG] Good Luck,

5. I had an amazing second at my last school in the UK, who did then go on to a HoD position. As well as all of the above, what I appreciate now in retrospect, is that she was completely and utterly trustworthy. We were able to discuss departmental matters in real depth, sometimes not agreeing, but it was fantastic to be able to discuss things with someone with no SMT baggage attached. Sometimes HoD's do need help with the decision making process, and someone who really "knows their stuff" is a real asset.